Dr James Boyle
- Honorary Clinical Associate Professor (Medicine)
- Associate Academic (Cardiovascular and Medical Sciences)
James Boyle is a Consultant Endocrinologist based at Glasgow Royal Infirmary. He graduated from the University of Dundee and trained in Endocrinology in Glasgow. He completed an MD at the University of Glasgow in the Henry Wellcome Laboratory of Cell Biology examining the effect of metformin on vascular function and AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) in Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes UK awarded this work with the Type 2 Diabetes Research Award. He was recently awarded a NRS Career Research Fellowship by the Chief Scientist Office to continue his interest in translational diabetes research. Dr Boyle is Director of MBChB3 and Honorary Clinical Associate Professor at the School of Medicine, University of Glasgow. Dr Boyle is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians in Glasgow.
1. Translational studies aimed at understanding the mechanisms of insulin signalling/glucose transport in human tissues and improving the health of those with diabetes
- SNARE protein function and regulation in GLUT4 membrane trafficking
- AMP-activated protein kinase in the regulation of metabolism.
2. Medical Education
- Dr Boyle has completed an MSc in Health Professions Education at the University of Glasgow investigating a novel pedagogical approach to teaching diabetes to medical undergraduates.
Grants and Awards listed are those received whilst working with the University of Glasgow.
- Type 2 diabetes research award prize
2008 - 2008
- Studies of Extra-Adrenal Aldosterone Activity
2004 - 2005
- The effects of metformin on vascular function and adipocyte AMPK activation in type 2 diabetes
British Heart Foundation
2004 - 2006
2016 – Present
Director of MBChB3, Undergraduate Medical School, University of Glasgow
2014 – Present
Medicine Lead for the Clinical Years, Undergraduate Medical School, University of Glasgow
2014 – Present
Host of 'Diabetes Acute Care Day' for medical undergraduates
2013 – Present
Host of Special Selected Component entitled 'An Introduction to Research in Medical Education' for medical undergraduates
2012 – Present
External Examiner for MSc Diabetes Care and Management, Glasgow Caledonian University
2010 – 2013
Undergraduate Sub Dean, School of Medicine, University of Glasgow
School of Medicine,
Wolfson Medical School Building,