- Lecturer in Public Health Nutrition (Human Nutrition)
- Associate Academic (Institute of Health and Wellbeing)
I am interested on the effect of dietary constituents such as fibre and antioxidants (polyphenols), on metabolic responses including glucose, lipid metabolism, and gastrointestinal and adipokine secretion in healthy individuals and in individuals with the metabolic syndrome or with metabolic-related increased oxidative stress. The methodological approach is by conducting human dietary interventions on free-living subjects. We have shown that insoluble dietary fibre rich in polyphenols modulates postprandial responses to ghrelin, an orexigenic gut peptide, and modifies substrate utilisation by increasing lipid oxidation, indicating potential beneficial effects of fibre and polyphenols in the management of metabolic syndrome, however further investigation is needed before recommendations are provided.
Grants and Awards listed are those received whilst working with the University of Glasgow.
- Assessment of infant feeding practices at 12 months
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
2015 - 2016
- The nature and extent of food poverty/insecurity in Scotland (2014/15 REG)
NHS Health Scotland
2014 - 2015
- 'Nutritional Care of People Affected by Cancer' Education Programme Evaluation
MacMillan Cancer Support
2010 - 2011