Dr Christian Korff
- Reader (Mathematics)
R441 - Level 4
The Mathematics and Statistics Building
Glasgow G12 8SQ
I am interested in areas where algebra and representation theory meet problems arising in physical systems. My research focusses on quantum integrable models connected with solutions of the Yang-Baxter equation. The latter include exactly solvable lattice models in statistical mechanics, quantum many body systems and lower dimensional quantum field theories.
- Quantum integrable systems and infinite dimensional algebras (P); Royal Society University Research Fellowship (extension 2009-2012) GBP 338,708
- Tropical geometry and integrable systems (P); EPSRC Mathematical Sciences Small Grant with Chris Athorne (Glasgow, 2011) GBP 22,910
- Discrete integrable systems and the crystal limit of quantum integrable models (C); British Council Cooperation Research Award with the U of Tokyo joint with the ISMP group (Glasgow 2008-11) GBP 37,346
- Geometric Aspects of Discrete and Ultra-discrete Integrable Systems (C); London Mathematical Society grant joint with Jon Nimmo and Claire Gilson (Glasgow, 2009) GBP 4,800
- q-deformed algebras symmetric functions and quantum integrable systems (P); The Nuffield Foundation, funding for summer project with R Fornear (Glasgow 2008) GBP 1,400
- INSTANS Short Visit Grant (P); European Science Foundation travel grant to visit J.-S. Caux at U of Amsterdam (Amsterdam, 2008) EUR 706
- Integrable Systems: Linear and Nonlinear Dynamics III (C); EPSRC Mathematical Sciences Small Grant with Ian Strachan (Glasgow, 2007) GBP 10,623
- Lectures on the chiral Potts model by Prof Rinat Kedem (P); Edinburgh Mathematical Society research grant joint with Robert Weston, Heriot-Watt (Glasgow, 2007) GBP 633
- New developments in correlation functions of integrable lattice models (P); EPSRC Mathematical Sciences Small Grant (City U, 2005) GBP 5,233
- Quantum integrable systems and infinite dimensional algebras (P); Royal Society University Research Fellowship (2004-2009) GBP 250,000 (non FEC)
- Affine algebras in integrable models of statistical mechanics and QFT (P); EPSRC Postdoctoral Fellowship in Mathematics (Edinburgh U, 2002-4) GBP 75,462 (non FEC)
Current PhD students
Please contact me if you are interested in doing a PhD in mathematical physics, representation theory and related combinatorics.
Applications should be made by mid December each year with funding decisions being made in February. Late applications will be considered if funds are still available. The online application form for prostgraduate students can be found here.
Once you have submitted your application form send me an e-mail and we can discuss possible projects based on your qualifications and interests.
Past PhD students
Bart Vlaar (2007-2011)
Possible 4H projects
- "The Robinson-Schensted-Knuth correspondence"
- "Ice and Alternating Sign Matrices"
- "Representations of the symmetric group"
Possible 5H projects
- "The Boson-Fermion correspondence"
- "Knutson-Tao puzzles"
- "Crystal Graphs"
Before coming to Glasgow in October 2006, I held positions at City University London (2005-6), the University of Edinburgh (2002-2005) and the C.N. Yang Institute for Theoretical Physics at Stony Brook, New York (2000-2002). I completed my PhD (theoretical physics) at the Freie Universität Berlin, Germany in 2000.