Dr Sukhpreet Singh
- Senior Lecturer and CREATe Programme Leader (School of Law)
Dr Sukhpreet Singh is a CREATe Programme Leader and Director of MSc@CREATe (an interdisciplinary executive level Masters in ‘IP, Innovation and the Creative Economy’ launching in 2016). His research on market based approaches to IP protection and exploitation (as in the case of TV formats) funded by ESRC, and by industry and government grants, has been widely recognized internationally and has had impact on professional practice through publications, reports, and training seminars.
Dr Singh has 13 years of British HE experience in tertiary level teaching, research and strategic management and brings with him valuable knowledge of brand management in the screen and services industries. With a research interest in media management and media brands, he is one of the few European academics to be awarded an Educational Fellowship of the US based National Association of Television Program Executives (NATPE 2009) and has consulted for blue chip companies such as JP Morgan Chase and Fremantlemedia.
Membership of Professional Associations & Scholarly Societies
ELESIG Scotland Committee Member (2015-) ELESIG is a community of HE & FE researchers and practitioners involved in investigations of learners' experiences & uses of learning technology. Members share knowledge & practice and develop a shared repertoire of resources to benefit the community & the sector.
AiMM Founding Member (2011-) Advances in Media Management is a Bournemouth University led research cluster providing a platform for researchers to contribute knowledge in the field of media management. It also advises on Postgraduate, Undergraduate and Professional Development programmes as well as organizes events to disseminate the cluster’s knowledge.
EMMA Academic Member (2009-)TheEuropean Media Management Education Association is a forum for the exchange of ideas between HE media management teachers and European media industry to stimulate academic and intellectual interest in this area.
ISHTIP Academic Member (2009-)The International Society for the History & Theory of Intellectual Property supports scholarly investigation of the national histories of IPRs, &, of contemporary countertrends, laws & global norms to manage intellectual production & exchange.
NATPE Educational Fellow 2009 The National Association of Television Program Executives serves as the largest association of media professionals in the world. Its Education Foundation awards fellowships to enable inter-professional research and dialogue.
Dr Singh has been awarded the following grants:
Co-Investigator (K Erickson/ PI Kretschmer) ,University of Glasgow BOLD Grant for Development of Masters Programme. Grant value £135,000 over 2 years to develop a new online executive level MSc
EPSRC UK Grant EP/K039695/1 ‘Building Better Business Models: Capturing the Transformative Potential of the Digital Economy’. Grant value to Glasgow £75,000 (Co-I Kretschmer). Named Researcher in £1m consortium consisting of academics from City University (Cass Business School, London), Sussex, Glasgow, and LSE (PI Prof. C. Baden-Fuller, City)
The FRAPA Report 1: Protecting Format Rights. Funded by Government of North Rhine Westphalia (German State) commissioned by the Format Recognition and Protection Association (FRAPA). Read output http://goo.gl/q8LLU7
ESRC UK Grant RES-186-27-0012 Co-Applicant/ PI Kretschmer (Bournemouth University, UK). Grant value £32,000; Details and outputs on http://tvformats.bournemouth.ac.uk
- I created a bespoke database of TV format rights disputes from 1987 to 2007, yielding taxonomy of format rights disputes with statistically functional observations.
- I created, jointly with Kretschmer, a model (published as a book chapter, and illustrated through 3 video case studies) explaining growing global trade in television format rights in the absence of a regulatory mechanism.
- I led the development of the accompanying digital learning and teaching resource.
Executive Professional Programmes / Short Courses
- Course Leader (Media Economics & TV Format Exploitation) to Directors and Senior Managers of Vietnam Radio hosted at Bournemouth University in Nov 2014.
- Unit Leader (Media Strategy) on Skillset & Government of UK sponsored
Creative Media Leadership Award 2011.
- Short courses / training sessions in services management for clients such as the Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority, Indian Railways & ICICI Bank, from 2000 to 2003.
English, Punjabi, Hindi, Assamese