Dumfries Campus, University of Glasgow, Rutherford/McCowan Building, Crichton University Campus, Dumfries DG1 4ZL, Scotland
tel: +44 (0)1387 702001 / 702131
- Political Philosophy
Without Arché: Anarchy and the Metaphysics of Politics
The main aim of my research is to examine the concept of arché and develop my account on what being without arché, an-arché(anarchy), means as well as explore arché's relation with basic political concepts such as power, authority, the state and freedom.
Arché's origins can be traced back to the Homeric epics and the pre-Socratic explanations of the cosmos.
Arché has played a fundamental role in political philosophy through the influence it had on the political thought of Plato and Aristotle.
I come from the city of Thessaloniki, Greece and I have always been interested in philosophical issues.
However, I have studied Economics (BA), Finance (MSc) and International Relations (MRes) prior to undertaking a research degree (PhD) in Political Philosophy.
I have worked in the financial sector in Greece and London, and as an editor in professional publications and at the University of Glasgow’s PGR academic journal, eSharp.
I currently live in Glasgow, UK and apart from studying towards the completion of PhD (part-time) I am also a GTA at the University’s Dumfries Campus as well as a freelance researcher/editor and a volunteer basketball coach.
- Frantzanas, Sotirios. Rev. of The Concealment of the State by Jason Royce Lindsey, Anarchist Studies, 22 (1) spring 2014.
- Frantzanas, Sotirios. Rev. of Anarchism and Political Modernity by Nathan Jun, Anarchist Studies, 21 (1) spring 2013.
- Anarchist Symposium, Dumfries Campus, University of Glasgow – Organizing Committee Member, Presented “Anarchy, Democracy, Chance”, April 2014.
- PGR Conference, Dumfries Campus, University of Glasgow – Presented “Without Arché”, June 2013.
- Tutor at College of Social Sciences at the University’s Dumfries Campus: Taught Logic and Ethics (ICS) to second-year undergraduate students of the in semester 1, 2013.
- Tutor at College of Social Sciences at the University’s Dumfries Campus: Taught Philosophy (2M) to second-year undergraduate students of the in semester 1, 2012.
- Instructor at eSharp’s (University of Glasgow’s PGR academic journal) Workshop, Dumfries Campus, University of Glasgow: How to Peer-Review Academic Articles, April 2013.