- Adviser of Studies (Arts College Academic and Student Administration)
- Senior Lecturer (Archaeology)
R318 Level 3
Glasgow G12 8QQ
Dr Michael Given received his PhD in Cypriot archaeology from the University of Cambridge in 1992. Since then he has held research fellowships in Jerusalem, Nicosia and Glasgow, and is now Senior Lecturer in Archaeology at the University of Glasgow.
His main research interests include:
- landscape archaeology and archaeological survey
- historical periods in the Eastern Mediterranean, particularly Cyprus
- landscape theory
- historical archaeology
- Scottish post-medieval archaeology
- community archaeology
- history of archaeology
He has conducted archaeological survey and excavation in Cyprus, Egypt, Greece, Israel, Scotland and Turkey. From 1995-98 he was Field Director of the Sydney Cyprus Survey Project and Survey Director of the Excavations at Kourion’s Amathus Gate Cemetery, Cyprus. He is now Co-director of the Troodos Archaeological and Environmental Survey Project, Cyprus, and Publication Coordinator of the Excavations at Kourion’s Amathus Gate Cemetery.
His books include The Sydney Cyprus Survey Project (with A. Bernard Knapp; UCLA, 2003), The Archaeology of the Colonized (Routledge, 2004), and Landscape and Interaction: The Troodos Archaeological and Environmental Survey Project, Cyprus (with A.B. Knapp, J. Noller, L. Sollars, & V. Kassianidou; Volume 1 and Volume 2; Council for British Research in the Levant).
- Undergraduate Adviser of Studies
- Archaeology Learning and Teaching Convenor
- Archaeology Honours Convenor