Dr Qammer Abbasi
- Lecturer (Electronic and Nanoscale Engineering) (Engineering - University of Electronic Science and Technology of China)
telephone: +44 (0) 141 330 5586
Qammer H. Abbasi, (S’08–M’12–SM’16, MIET’12) received his BSc and MSc degree in electronics and telecommunication engineering from University of Engineering and Technology (UET), Lahore, Pakistan (with distinction). He received his Ph.D. degree in Electronic and Electrical engineering from Queen Mary University of London (QMUL), U.K., in Jan., 2012. From 2012 to June 2012, he was Post-Doctoral Research Assistant in Antenna and Electromagnetics group, QMUL, UK. From 2012 to 2013, he was international young scientist under National Science Foundation China (NSFC), and Assistant Professor in University of Engineering and Technology (UET), KSK, Lahore. From August, 2013 to April 2017 he was with the Center for Remote healthcare Technology and Wireless Research Group, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Texas A &M University (TAMUQ) initially as an Assistant Research Scientist and later was promoted to an Associate Research Scientist and Visiting lecture where he was leading multiple Qatar national research foundation grants (worth $3 million). Currently Dr. Abbasi is a Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in University of Glasgow in the School of Engineering in addition to Visiting Research Fellow with Queen Mary, University of London (QMUL) and Visiting Associate Research Scientist with Texas A & M University (TAMUQ).
He has been mentoring several undergraduate, graduate students and postdocs. Dr. Abbasi has research portfolio of around $3 million and contributed to a patent, 5 books and more than 100 leading international technical journal and peer reviewed conference papers and received several recognitions for his research. Dr. Abbasi became IEEE senior member at the age of 29 and was Chair of IEEE young professional affinity group. He is an Associate editor for IEEE Access journal and acted as a guest editor for numerous special issues in top notch journals. He is a member of IET and commitee member for IET Antenna & Propagation and healthcare network. Dr. Abbasi has been a member of the technical program committees of several IEEE flagship conferences and technical reviewer for several IEEE and top notch journals. He contributed in organizing several IEEE conferences, workshop and special sessions in addition to European school of antenna course.
Research interests include but not limited to: nano communication, RF design and radio propagation, biomedical applications of millimeter and terahertz communication, wearable and flexible sensors, compact antenna design, antenna interaction with human body, Implants, body centric wireless communication issues, wireless body sensor networks, non-invasive health care solutions, physical layer security for wearable/implant communication and multiple-input-multiple-output systems.
Updated publication list can be found at Google Scholar.
Smart wearable sensing platform with wireless communication and embedded processing for Health monitoring applications ($20,000, RM, UREP-QNRF, 2016-2017)
Numerical Analysis and In vitro Demonstrator of Nano scale Communication Networks for Healthcare Monitoring Applications (nano Health) ($780,141.87, LPI, QNRF, 2015-2018)
Concurrent Multiband Multi-polarization millimeter wave phased arrays for communica- tion and sensing ($1,048,241.76, PI, QNRF, 2014-2018)
Channel Modeling and optimized radio access design for In Vivo wireless communica- tion ($1,038,453.13, Co-LPI, QNRF, 2013-2016)
Improving Precision for Body Area Network Channel Characterization for Single and Multiple Antennas ($33k, LPI, NSFC) (2012-2013)
Unattended Monitoring System with Zimiti UK (RA/Postdoc) (2011- 2012)
Transforming Energy Demand through Digital Innovation (TEDDI) (Postdoc, 2012)
Information for Prospective Students
I am always looking for good students who have interest/experience in RF design, Wearables electronics, Antenna and propagation, terahertz communication and its biomedical application, flexible and bendable electroincs, healthcare applications. A prospective graduate students who have some prior background in relevant areas, then please feel free to send me an email about yourself and your research interests. Information on application process is available at:
New PhD Studentship for Home/UK Students/International:
A new 3.5 years PhD position for Home UK/EU Students for the academic year starting in October 2017 is available. For international student only fee waiver scholarship is available. For more information please contact me to discuss further.
I have directly supervised/supervising following students:
- Dr. Aya Abdelaziz, Postdoctoral Research Assistant (Jan., - May 2015, Jan 2017 - Current) (TAMUQ)
- Dr. Imran Ansari, Postdoctoral Research Assistant (May 2017 – Current) (TAMUQ)
- Lamana Mulafar, Research Assistant (May 2017 – Current) (TAMUQ)
- Fatih Ali Demir, Research Assistant, (May - June 2015) (TAMUQ)
- Esad Ankarali Zekeriyya, Research Assistant, (June - August 2014) (TAMUQ)
I have assisted/ currently assisting in supervising the following graduate/undergradute students.
- Fatih Ali Demir: PhD student at University Of South Florida (USF), USA,
- Esad Anarkali Zekkeriya: PhD student at University Of South Florida (USF), USA
- Rui Zhang: PhD student, Queen Mary University of London, UK,
- Ke Yang: PhD student, Queen Mary University of London, UK,
- Nishtha Chopra: PhD student, Queen Mary University of London, UK,
- Marwa Qaraqe: PhD Texas A & M University, Texas, USA,
- Hanadi M Al-Mohsin: Master Student, Hamad Bin Khalifa University, Qatar,
- Ayesha Qahtani: Undergraduate student, Texas A & M University at Qatar (TAMUQ),
- Naseer Alyaarabi and Essa Al-Khubaisi: Undergraduate student, TAMUQ.
Circuit design and Analysis (Fall 2017)
Awards & Honors
April 2017:Research Fellow Excellence Award, Texas A & M University (TAMUQ)
April 2017:Research Excellence award, ECEN Dept., Texas A & M University (TAMUQ)
April 2017:Teaching Excellence award, ECEN Dept., Texas A & M University (TAMUQ)
March 2017:Work cited in news, A news summary and excellent review of our "THz TDS for Human Skin Character-isation for Nano-networks" work was published on Microwaves & RF in the article "Mapping Dielectric Properties for Body-Based Networks.".
August 2016: Book cited in news,Excellent review of our recently book "Advances in Body-Centric Wireless Com-munication: Applications and State-of-the-art" was published by Analog IC-TIPS.
Aug 2016:UK Exceptional Talent Endorsement by Royal Academy of Engineering
Aug 2016:Teaching Excellence award, ECEN Dept., Texas A & M University (TAMUQ)
July 2016:Most downloaded article, Our paper was among top downloaded artilces "Terahertz Channel Characteriza-tion Inside the Human Skin for Nano-Scale Body-Centric Networks" for the month of April and June 2016 in IEEE Transactions on THz Science and Technology.
May 2016:USCIS Alien of Extraordinary Ability, Endorsement as EB1-A (Alien of Extraordinary Ability) from department of home-land security USCIS.
April 2016:Research Excellence award, Center for remote health technology and system ext. at Qatar, ECEN Dept., Texas A & M University (TAMUQ).
March 2016:BRIO Competition 2016 Award, Two of my images were shortlisted in the top 10 images at the inaugural Best Rep-resentative Image of an Outcome (BRIO) competition sponsored by Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF).
Feb 2016:IEEE Senior Member, among very few youngest members at the age of 29.
May 2015:Research Service Award, ECEN Dept., Texas A & M University (TAMUQ).
Dec 2014:Best paper award, Our research on "Numerical Characterization of In Vivo Wireless Communication Channels" was being short listed for best paper award in IEEE IMWSBIO, London, Dec., 2014.
Nov 2013:Best Poster Award, Our research on "Ultra wideband MIMO Channel Characterisation for healthcare applications" was being awarded best poster award in Qatar Annual Research Conference (QARC), 2013.
Feb 2012:Research work in news, My research on "Characterisation of MB-OFDM based Ultra Wideband Systems for Body-Centric Wireless Communications" was being reported in www.verticalnews.com.
Dec 2012:NSFC, International Young Scientist Research Grant.
March 2011:Nominated for best paper award in IWAT 2011.
May 2009:Marie Curie Grant (European School of Antennas, approximately £ 800).
Sep. 2007:Full Time Masters Scholarship.
2003-2007:Certificate of Merit in Undergraduate Studies.
2001-2003:Best Student Award in Intermediate Studies.
Professional Afﬁliation and Activites
I am/was member of following: Senior Member of IEEE and Member of IET, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society, IEEE Young Profession Afﬁnity Group (Qatar), IEEE Circuits and Systems Society Membership, IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society, IEEE Standards Association Individual Member, IEEE Nan-otechnology Council, IEEE Sensors Council, IEEE Internet of Things Community, IEEE Technical Committee on RFID, IEEE Communications Society, Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC), EURAAP.
2012 - Present: Editorial member, International Journal of Sensor and Related Networks.
April 2016: Guest Editor, Speical issue on Millimetre-wave Antennas, Propagation and Systems for the Future 5G, in International Journal of Antennas and Propagation
June 2016 - Present: Associate Editor IEEE Access
Nov., 2016: Editor, Speical issue on Nano-antennas, Nano-transceivers and Nano-networks/Communications in IEEE Access, 2017.
Acting as a reviewer for (including but not limited to):
Wiley & Sons book reviewer, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communication, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Tech-niques, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, IEEE Magazine on Antennas and Propagation ,IEEE An-tenna and Wireless Propagation Letter (AWPL) ,IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters ,IEEE Communication Letter ,IEEE Access ,IET Microwaves Antenna and Propagation Journal ,IET Electronics Letter ,IET Healthcare Technol-ogy Letter ,IEEE Sensor Journal ,Journal of sensors ,Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications ,Elsevier Journal on Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine ,Evise, International Journal on Engineering Science and Technol-ogy ,Progress In Electromagnetics Research (PIER) Journals ,Wiley Journal of Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing ,EURASIP Journal on Wireless, Communication and Networking ,International Journal of UWB communications and Systems ,International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies ,In-ternational Journal of Antenna and Propagation ,International Journal on Commu-nications Antenna and Propagation (IRECAP) ,Journal of Electromagnetic Analy-sis and Applications ,Journal of Wireless Networking and Communications Inter-national, Journal of Electromagnetics and Applications ,Journal of Science and Technology, IEEE conferences and workshops around the globe.
Conferences and Workshops Organization,
- May, 2017:Technical program committee member, 2017 IEEE 86th Vehicular Technology Conference, 24–27 September 2017, Toronto, Canada. .
- Feb 2017: Technical program committee member, in 7th International Conference on Wireless Mobile Communication and Healthcare - "Transforming healthcare through in-novations in mobile and wireless technologies" (Mobihealth), Austria, Nov. 2017
- June 2016: Technical program committee member, in 6th International Conference on Wireless Mobile Communication and Healthcare - "Transforming healthcare through in-novations in mobile and wireless technologies" (Mobihealth), Italy, Nov. 2016
- May 2016: Technical program committee member, 16th IEEE Mediterranean Microwave Symposium, Abu Dhabi, UAE, 14-16 November 2016
- Mar., 2016:Technical program committee member, 2016 IEEE 84th IEEE VTC Fall, Motreal, Canada.
- Jan., 2016:Technical program committee member, 3rd ACM International Conference on Nanoscale Computing and Communication New York City, New York, USA, September 28-30, 2016,
- Jan., 2016:Technical program committee member, International conference on Cancer Diagnostic and Medical Treatment Approaches, Rome,Italy, 21-22 April, 2016,
- Nov., 2015:Technical program committee member and best paper selection judge, 24th World Congress of ITMA, Nov., 2015,
- Oct., 2015: Chair and organizer of First International Workshop on Advances in Body-Centric Wireless Communications and Networks and Their Applications (BCWNets 2015), in Conjuction with IEEE WiMob, Abu Dhabi, 2015,
- Oct., 2015: Special Sessions Committee Chair of 5th International Conference on Wireless Mobile Communication and Healthcare - "Transforming healthcare through innova-tions in mobile and wireless technologies" (Mobihealth), London, UK, Oct. 2015,
- Oct., 2015:Chair and organizer of special session on Smart Phone based Health Diagnostics and Monitoring (SP-Health) in 5th International Conference on Wireless Mobile Communication.
External Examination Committees,
PhD examiner for Macquarie University, Australia.
Best presenation and poster selection judge in 24th World Congress of ITMA, Nov., 2015.
IET Present Around the World (PATW) competition judge, Doha, Qatar, March 2016.
Mentor in Qatar Stem Fair, 8-10 March, 2016, Doha, Qatar.
Qatar National Research, Challenge 22 proposal reviewer, 2017.
Expert in Star of Sciene, Season 7, May 2016, Doha, Qatar, http://www.starsofscience.com/English/Home
Expert in Star of Sciene, Season 8, Feb 2017, Doha, Qatar, http://www.starsofscience.com/English/Home .