BDS Admissions Committee
The remit of the Admissions Officer is "to achieve entry to the BDS Programme of study of the 87 home and 3 overseas candidates deemed to be most suitable on academic grounds, performance at interview and appraisal of the UCAS form."
The role of the BDS Admissions Committee is to assist the Admissions Officer in fulfilling this remit. The admissions committee thus functions to:
- Implement the process for admission to the BDS Degree course
- Review and set appropriate entrance qualifications to the course
- Take all reasonable steps to ensure that the intake quota set by SHEFC is met
In addition, the BDS Admissions Committee aims to keep abreast of:
- Developments in secondary level education, which may impact on entrance qualifications.
- Developments in the Universities Central Admissions Service (UCAS).
- Changes in legislation, which may impact on entrance.
- Changes in health screening arrangements, which may impact on entrance.
Members of the Committee undertake selection interviews and select entrants on the basis of academic qualifications, performance at interview and overall appraisal of the UCAS form.
The BDS Admissions Committee reports through Dental Education Committee. The Convener is nominated by the Dean of the Dental School and acts as the Dental Admissions Officer. The Convener selects the members after consultation with the Dean of the Dental School.