- Senior Lecturer (Chemistry)
Research in the Sutherland group focuses on the development and understanding of new organic reactions with particular emphasis on using transition metal catalysis to create new chiral molecules. Once developed, we then apply our new chemistry to the total synthesis of biologically active and medicinally important compounds and natural products. In collaboration with biologists, neuroscientists and clinical physicists we also test the biological properties and study the potential applications of our new compounds.
Total Synthesis of N-Heterocycle Containing Natural Products
SPECT and PET Imaging Tracers for Neurological Receptors
Synthesis of Non-Proteinogenic Amino Acids
- A. A. Cant, S. Champion, R. Bhalla, S. L. Pimlott and A. Sutherland, Nickel-Mediated Radioiodination of Aryl and Heteroaryl Bromides: Rapid Synthesis of Tracers for SPECT Imaging, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2013, 52, 7829-7832.
- E. D. D. Calder, A. M. Zaed and A. Sutherland, Preparation of anti-Vicinal Amino Alcohols: Asymmetric Synthesis of D-erythyro-Sphinganine, (+)-Spisulosine and D-ribo-Phytosphingosine, J. Org. Chem., 2013, 78, 7223-7233.
- M. Daly, A. A. Cant, L. S. Fowler, G. L. Simpson, H. M. Senn and A. Sutherland, Switching the Stereochemical Outcome of 6-Endo-Trig Cyclizations; Synthesis of 2,6-Cis-6-Substituted 4-Oxopipecolic Acids, J. Org. Chem., 2012, 77, 10001-10009.
- M. W. Grafton, L. J. Farrugia, H. M. Senn and A. Sutherland, Discovery of a Multi-Bond Forming, Four-step Tandem Process: Construction of Drug-Like Polycyclic Scaffolds, Chem. Commun., 2012, 48, 7994-7996.
- A. A. Cant, R. Bhalla, S. L. Pimlott and A. Sutherland, Nickel-Catalysed Aromatic Finkelstein Reaction of Aryl and Heteroaryl Bromides, Chem. Commun., 2012, 48, 3993-3995.
- Level-2 Isomerism and Stereochemistry
- Level-3 Organic Synthesis 1
- Level-3 Biotransformations 1 and 2
- Level-4 Pericyclic Reactions
BSc (Edinburgh) PhD (Bristol) MRSC CChem
Selected Recent Talks
- "New Stereoselective Synthesis of N-Heterocycles". Departmental Seminar, ICSN, CNRS, Gif-sur-Yvette, March 2011.
- "New Stereoselective Rearrangement Processes for the Synthesis of Natural Products". Departmental Seminar, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, March 2011.
- "Stereoselective Rearrangements for the Preparation of Natural Products". Wilson Baker Symposium, University of Bristol, March, 2011.
- "New Stereoselective Rearrangement Processes for the Synthesis of Natural Products". Research Seminar, Almac Discovery, Northern Ireland, January 2011.
- "The Stereoselective Synthesis of Iodinated Analogues of Reboxetine for SPECT Imaging the Noradrenaline Transporter". 42nd IUPAC Congress, Glasgow, August 2009.
External Appointments & Positions
- External Examiner in Chemistry for GlaxoSmithKline/University of Kent
- EPSRC College and Panel Member
- Member of the Board of Tetrahedron Letters
- Member of the SINAPSE Molecular Imaging Committee
- Member of the Tetrahedron Referee Panel