- Professor of Management (Management)
Services innovation, complex systems, managing change, knowledge transfer
Robert Paton is currently a Professor of Management and Director of Graduate Studies with the University of Glasgow Adam Smith Business School. He researches, publishes and lectures in the fields of change and knowledge transfer and increasingly service innovation. He has collaborated widely with co-researchers and various organisations (sponsored by IBM amongst others) and is currently working with researchers from the Glasgow School of Art on a design led innovation project. At present he is concentrating efforts on developing a service/design intervention strategy to promote innovation, of particular interest is the promotion of meaningful and sustainable service transactions within a partnership setting. He has published in the Journal of Information Technology, Knowledge Management , Long Range Planning, Management Decision, European Management Journal (for which he is the Associate Editor)and International Journal of Operations Management.
PhD supervision areas
Professor Paton is interested in supervising PhD researchers in the fields of services innovation, knowledge transfer and change. Of particular interest would be projects linked to the concept of service dominant logics - the co-creation of value at the point of knowledge exchange.
Current PhD students
Thesis title: Strategic value innovation model - identifying value co creation from experience.
Co-supervisor: Dr Cleopatra Veloutsou
Thesis title: A study on project management application gap in humanitarian based projects how to integrate project life cycle approach for robust decision response framework for IDP related projects.
Co-supervisor:Dr James Wilson
Thesis title: Security issues in supply chains - leveraging service innovation.
Co-supervisor: Prof. Robert MacIntosh
Thesis title: Behavioural drivers in an industrial buying context.
Co-supervisor: Dr James Wilson
Co-supervisor: Dr James Wilson
Co-supervisor: Professor Iain Docherty
Co-supervisor: Dr Ignacio Canales
Services innovation, managing change, and associated knowledge management interfaces
The ongoing development, in conjunction with IBM, of the Complex Services Innovation Research Network (CSIRN).
Services innovation, knowledge management and change within complex supply chain contexts. The 'Services Science and Innovation ' blog is now live at: topics.scirus.com/Services_Science_and_Innovation.html.
Determining the nature and extent of the innovation ripple effect associated with R&D interventions within complex manufacturing systems. Establishing whether or not such interventions can be simulated within non-R&D sites in order to stimulate service innovation and change.
Recent professional involvement
- University joint venture initiative with Kaplan to create the Glasgow International College - programme design, evaluation, quality assurance, Executive Board Member.
- Executive development with Clydesdale Bank; Glasgow Housing Association and SCMG.
- Executive Board member - European Management Journal.
- International Expert peer reviewer for the Higher Education Authority of Ireland: assessing institutional bids for 300m euro research fund, 2009.
- University representative on the Renfrewshire Educational Trust, 2009 onwards
- Board member of the Scottish Food and Drink: College of Excellence initiative.
- Reviewer for and/or editorial board member for a number of journals including the European Management Journal, Journal of Information and Knowledge Management Systems (VINE) and the Journal of Services Science.
- Institute of Banking, Saudi Arabia: Invited guest and speaker - services innovation and change, 2009.