- Reader in Strategy (Management)
Gilbert Scott Building
Glasgow G12 8QQ
- Bachelor in Management (P. U. C. Chile)
- Commercial Engineer (P. U. C. Chile)
- MRes in Management (IESE Business School, U of Navarra)
- PhD in Management (IESE Business School, U of Navarra)
Strategy process, Entrepreneurship, Subsidiary and MNC strategy
My interest is on strategy as a continuous organizational process that encourages action by managers. Particularly I study how top down and bottom up forces interact to produce strategy. I study this phenomenon within the fields of strategy making process, entrepreneurship and in the relationship between subsidiaries and headquarters in MNCs.
I am Reader in Strategy in the Adam Smith Business School at the University of Glasgow. Previously, I was Senior Lecturer in Strategy in the University of Glasgow Business School (2009-2012), Lecturer in Management at the University of St Andrews (2004-2009) and a Research Fellow and PhD student at IESE Business School (1999-2004). In my country of origin, Chile, I developed an eight-year career as a practicing manager. This previous experience helped focus my research agenda on strategic management and the process through which strategy is developed. My areas of expertise are Strategy, Entrepreneurship and Multinational Corporations (MNCs).
Current PhD areas of interest
Dr Canales' interest is on strategy as a continuous organizational process that encourages action by managers. In particular, he studies how top down and bottom up forces interact to produce strategy. This phenomenon is studied within the fields of strategy making process, entrepreneurship and in the relationship between subsidiaries and headquarters in MNCs.
Current PhD students
Thesis title: Service Innovation, Supply Chain Management, Strategy
Co-supervisor: Professor Robert Paton
Co-supervisor: Professor Robert Paton
Jian Ming Chua
Co-supervisor: Professor Robert Chia
Strategy, International Business and Entrepreneurship
My teaching philosophy is centered on learning rather than teaching. I believe that learning is a process that is best facilitated by interaction and collaboration. Hence, my intention as a teacher is to strive to be the catalyst for that process. I do so by encouraging my students to think creatively while simultaneously challenging them to think critically. A key to succeeding as a facilitator is to provoke enthusiasm by making content emotionally appealing for the student.
Service to the profession
- Editorial board, Journal of Management, 2014-2017
- Editorial board, Journal of Management Studies, 2009-2013
- Reviewer for the Journal of Management, Academy of Management Journal, Journal of Management Studies, Strategic Management Journal, Management Learning, European Management Journal, California Management Review and Long Range Planning
- Awarded the Outstanding Reviewer Award, granted by the Business Policy and Strategy division of the Academy of Management, Anaheim, USA, 2008; Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, 2005; and Seattle, USA, 2003
- Strategic Management Society, representative at large of the Strategy Process Interest Group 2012-2014
- Strategic Management Society Special Conference held in Glasgow 2013. Conference Chair and Chair and organiser of the PhD workshop.
- Chair for the Strategic Management Track, British Academy of Management 2006, 2007 and 2008
Grants and research awards
- Carnegie Trust for Universities in Scotland, Grant obtained in 2014
- Appointed to the Research Committee of the Business Policy and Strategy Division of the Academy of Management for a two year term, 2011-2012
- Best Dissertation Committee of Strategic Management Society 2012-2013
- Adam Smith Research Foundations, Grant obtained in 2011
- Carnegie Trust for Universities in Scotland, Grant obtained in 2010
- Awarded the Booz Allen Hamilton Fellowship for best PhD student paper, Strategic Management Society, Baltimore, USA, November 2003
- Selected to participate in the Academy of Management Business Policy and Strategy division Doctoral Consortium, Denver, USA, 2002
Practitioner experience (in Santiago, Chile)
- Almacenes Michaely S.A., Dept. Store, C.F.O, 1998-1999
- Embotelladora Andina S.A., Coca-Cola Bot., Treasurer, 1997-1998
- Lan Airlines, Airline, Treasurer, 1995-1997
- Ind. Textil La Scala S.A., Fashion, C.F.O, 1993-1995