Dr J Ignacio Canales
- Reader in Strategy (Management)
Prof J. Ignacio Canales is a Professor of Strategy at the University of Glasgow Adam Smith Business School. Previously, he was Reader and Senior Lecturer in Strategy in the University of Glasgow Business School (2009-2017), Lecturer in Management at the University of St Andrews (2004-2009) and a Research Fellow and PhD student at IESE Business School (1999-2004). In his country of origin, Chile, he developed an eight-year career as a practicing manager. This previous experience helped focus his research agenda on strategic management and the process through which strategy is developed. His areas of expertise are Strategy, Entrepreneurship and Multinational Corporations (MNCs).
- Bachelor in Management (P. U. C. Chile)
- Commercial Engineer (P. U. C. Chile)
- MRes in Management (IESE Business School, U of Navarra)
- PhD in Management (IESE Business School, U of Navarra)
Ignacio is a member of the Strategy and Decision Making research cluster.
Areas of expertise:
- Strategic management
- Strategy process
- Actors of the strategy process
- CoSS strategic grant (£5,000), obtained in 2016;
- The Carnegie Trust (£2,072), obtained in 2014;
- The Carnegie Trust (£1,400), obtained in 2010;
- John Robertson Bequest (£1,100), obtained in 2011;
- Adam Smith Research Foundation Grant (£2,000), obtained in 2011;
- Funded a yearly two-week visit to develop research projects and enhance their provision of methodology courses in the PhD programme from 2010 to 2012 (€10,332);
- Competiveness of cultural tourism clusters, social capital, knowledge and entrepreneurial orientation in world heritage cities in Spain (Ministerio de Ciencia y Tecnología, ECO2013-42387-P) (€24.700) programme from 2010 to 2012.
Current PhD areas of interest
Dr Canales' interest is on strategy as a continuous organisational process that encourages action by managers. In particular, he studies how top down and bottom up forces interact to produce strategy. This phenomenon is studied within the fields of strategy making process, entrepreneurship and in the relationship between subsidiaries and headquarters in MNCs.
Current PhD students
Co-supervisors: Professor Trevor Buck and Dr Stephan von Delft
Reviewer and editorial duties
- Editorial Board of BRQ Business Research Quarterly 2016 -
- Associate Editor of Review in Business and Management 2016-
- Editorial Board member Journal of Management Studies 2015-
- Editorial Board member Journal of Management 2014-
- Editorial Board member Business Review Quarterly 2015-
- Editorial Board member Journal of Management Studies 2009-2012
- Ad-hoc Reviewer for the Strategic Management Journal since 2012
- Ad-hoc Reviewer for the Journal of Management since 2003
- Ad-hoc Reviewer for the Academy of Management Journal since 2004
- Ad-hoc Reviewer for the Journal of Management Studies since 2007
- Ad-hoc Reviewer for Long Range Planning since 2006
- Ad-hoc Reviewer for British Journal of Management since 2011
- Ad-hoc Reviewer for Management Learning since 2011
- Ad-hoc Reviewer for California Management Review since 2011
- Ad-hoc Reviewer for European Management Journal since 2011
- Ad-hoc Reviewer for Asia Pacific Management Review since 2012
- Ad-hoc Reviewer for Review in Business and Management (Revista Brasileira de Gestão de Negócios) since 2014
- Ad hoc Reviewer for Risk Management since 2014
- Academy of Management Annual Meeting 2001-2016
- Strategic Management Society 2003 -2004, 2009 – 2016
- Strategic Management Society Special Conference 2009, 2011 - 2016
- British Academy of Management, 2004 – 2010
- European Academy of Management 2016-
- ACEDE Spanish Academy of Management (ACEDE) 2016 -
Conference chair and organisation
- Strategic Management Society, Program Chair Strategy Process Interest Group, SMS Berlin. 2015-2017.
- Strategic Management Society, Associate Program Chair Strategy Process Interest Group, SMS Denver, 2015.
- Strategic Management Society, Organizer of the Sunday sessions for the SMS Madrid, 2014.
- Strategic Management Society, representative at large of the Strategy Process Interest Group 2012-2014
- Strategic Management Society Special Conference held in Glasgow 2013. Conference Chair and Chair and organiser of the PhD workshop as well as track chair.
- Chair of the Strategic Management Track. British Academy of Management: Oxford 2005, Belfast 2006, Warwick 2007, and Harrogate 2008.
Leadership of the Strategic Management Society (SMS)
- Elected Chair of the Strategy Process Interest Group 2017-2018
- Elected Program Chair of the Strategy Process Interest Group 2016 -2017
- Elected Associate Program Chair of the Strategy Process Interest Group 2015-2016.
- Elected Representative at large of the Strategy Process Interest Group. 2011-2013
- Appointed to Best PhD Dissertation Panel 2012-2014
Research honours and awards
- Best PhD Dissertation Committee of Strategic Management Society 2012-2014
- Research Committee of the Business, Policy and Strategy Division (BPS) of the Academy of Management (AOM) 2012-2014
- Outstanding Reviewer Award, granted by the Business Policy and Strategy division of the Academy of Management, Anaheim, 2008
- Outstanding Reviewer Award, granted by the Business Policy and Strategy division of the Academy of Management, Honolulu, 2005
- Outstanding Reviewer Award, granted by the Business Policy and Strategy division of the Academy of Management, Seattle, 2003
- Awarded best PhD student paper as the Booz Allen Hamilton Fellowship, Strategic Management Society, Baltimore, Nov. 2003.
- Awarded the IESE Business School fellowship from 1999 to 2003.
- Invited to participate in the Business