- Reader in Strategy (Management)
I am Reader in Strategy in the Adam Smith Business School at the University of Glasgow. Previously, I was Senior Lecturer in Strategy in the University of Glasgow Business School (2009-2012), Lecturer in Management at the University of St Andrews (2004-2009) and a Research Fellow and PhD student at IESE Business School (1999-2004). In my country of origin, Chile, I developed an eight-year career as a practicing manager. This previous experience helped focus my research agenda on strategic management and the process through which strategy is developed. My areas of expertise are Strategy, Entrepreneurship and Multinational Corporations (MNCs).
- Bachelor in Management (P. U. C. Chile)
- Commercial Engineer (P. U. C. Chile)
- MRes in Management (IESE Business School, U of Navarra)
- PhD in Management (IESE Business School, U of Navarra)
Areas of expertise:
- Strategy Process
- Middle Managers
- Subsidiary Strategy
I have been principal investigator and have received three UK grants totalling £4,500 and three Spanish grants for 10.332 euros.
- The Carnegie Trust (£1,400) obtained in 2010,
- John Robertson Bequest (£1,100) obtained in 2011
- Adam Smith Research Foundation Grant (£2,000) obtained in 2011.
- Spanish government Visiting grants in excess for 10.332 euros to fund a yearly two-week visit to develop research projects and enhance their provision of methodology courses in the PhD programme from 2010 to 2012.
Current PhD areas of interest
Dr Canales' interest is on strategy as a continuous organizational process that encourages action by managers. In particular, he studies how top down and bottom up forces interact to produce strategy. This phenomenon is studied within the fields of strategy making process, entrepreneurship and in the relationship between subsidiaries and headquarters in MNCs.
Current PhD students
Thesis title: Service Innovation, Supply Chain Management, Strategy
Co-supervisor: Professor Robert Paton
Co-supervisor: Professor Robert Paton
Jian Ming Chua
Co-supervisor: Professor Robert Chia
International Strategic Management: MSc, 2011-2013, 21 hours, 200 students
Dynamic Strategic Management: MBA 2013- present, 40 hours, 30 students
Strategic Foresight: MBA 2012- present 20 hours 30 students
International Marketing Management: MSc 2009-2011, 21 hours, 200 students
Strategy: Senior Honours, 2009-present, 22 hours level, 80 students
Doing Global Business: Senior Honours 2009-present, 40 hours, 50 students.
Service to the profession
- Associate Program Chair 2015: http://strategicmanagement.net/ig/strategy_process.php
- Editorial board, Journal of Management, 2014-2017
- Reviewer for the Journal of Management, Academy of Management Journal, Journal of Management Studies, Strategic Management Journal, Management Learning, European Management Journal, California Management Review and Long Range Planning
- Awarded the Outstanding Reviewer Award, granted by the Business Policy and Strategy division of the Academy of Management, Anaheim, USA, 2008; Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, 2005; and Seattle, USA, 2003
- Strategic Management Society, representative at large of the Strategy Process Interest Group 2012-2014
- Strategic Management Society Special Conference held in Glasgow 2013. Conference Chair and Chair and organiser of the PhD workshop.
- Chair for the Strategic Management Track, British Academy of Management 2006, 2007 and 2008
Grants and research awards
- Carnegie Trust for Universities in Scotland, Grant obtained in 2014
- Appointed to the Research Committee of the Business Policy and Strategy Division of the Academy of Management for a two year term, 2011-2012
- Best Dissertation Committee of Strategic Management Society 2012-2013
- Adam Smith Research Foundations, Grant obtained in 2011
- Carnegie Trust for Universities in Scotland, Grant obtained in 2010
- Awarded the Booz Allen Hamilton Fellowship for best PhD student paper, Strategic Management Society, Baltimore, USA, November 2003
- Selected to participate in the Academy of Management Business Policy and Strategy division Doctoral Consortium, Denver, USA, 2002
Practitioner experience (in Santiago, Chile)
- Almacenes Michaely S.A., Dept. Store, C.F.O, 1998-1999
- Embotelladora Andina S.A., Coca-Cola Bot., Treasurer, 1997-1998
- Lan Airlines, Airline, Treasurer, 1995-1997
- Ind. Textil La Scala S.A., Fashion, C.F.O, 1993-1995