Basic, applied, clinical and translational research
Our Institute brings together world-leading basic, applied, clinical and translational researchers to study:
- infection, with a focus on the viral, parasitic and bacterial pathogens of both humans and animals; and
- immunology and inflammation, with a focus on chronic inflammatory diseases.
Despite the continual development of new therapies, antibiotics and vaccines, chronic inflammatory and infectious diseases still pose persistent health threats. We aim to address this problem by:
- establishing our Institute as an internationally renowned multidisciplinary centre of research excellence, based on the performance of high quality basic discovery science
- improving the understanding of the pathogenesis of chronic inflammatory and infectious diseases and of the biology of infectious agents in order to inform novel and improved approaches to their prevention and control; and
- translating our biological excellence to the direct application of near patient and clinical proof of concept studies.