- Clinical Senior Lecturer (Institute of Cardiovascular and Medical Sciences)
I am a Clinical Senior Lecturer and Honorary Consultant Nephrologist at the Glasgow Renal and Transplant Unit based at the Western Infirmary Glasgow. I graduated in Medicine in 1999 (MB ChB Honours 1996; Brunton Medal for first in year) and was awarded a PhD in 2008 (Bellahouston Medal for outstanding thesis by medical graduate).
I was a British Heart Foundation Junior Clinical Fellow for the duration of my PhD thesis. Following clinical training in Medicine and Nephrology combined with a Clinical Lecturer post; I was appointed as Clinical Senior Lecturer in 2011. My major research interest is the cardiovascular complications of chronic kidney disease (CKD). Current research themes and techniques are used to explore this field include:
- Use of MRI studies to explore cardiac and renal dysfunction in hypertension and CKD
- Epidemiological studies into early CKD and diabetes. I am the UK lead for Syskid-PROVALID, a large EU study of risk factors for kidney disease in diabetes
- Studies of dysregulation of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system in CKD
- Clinical studies of oxidative stress in CKD
- I am also the lead for the West of Scotland Academic Foundation Year program and am local principal investigator or co-investigator for a number of pharmaceutical and academic clinical studies (e.g. GLOMY, BEACON, GAMBIT, WTCC3 etc)