BHF 4 year PhD studentships
BHF 4 year PhD studentships
Institute of Cardiovascular and Medical Sciences
Research within the Institute has been integrated into thematic programmes that build on the strategic scientific priorities of the Institute and on the strengths and expertise of clinical and non-clinical principal investigators.
Research within the Institute focuses on:
- Metabolic Disease/Diabetes
- Stroke and renal disease in relation to cardiovascular disease.
Each of these themes contain strategically linked groups of leading, internationally-respected academics who provide the highest quality supervision to students. Research links exist between staff in the cardiovascular groups and those in other Institutes within the College, facilitating cross-institute collaborations and include:
- Institute of Health and Wellbeing
- Institute of Infection, Immunity and Inflammation
- Institute of Molecular, Cell and Systems Biology
- Institute of Neuroscience and Psychology
In addition the Institute of Cardiovascular & Medical Sciences has research links with academics beyond the College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences. Of particular relevance are links with academics in Mathematics, Chemistry, Bioengineering, Bioinformatics and Physics. This provides opportunities to broaden research opportunities and to integrate research at a multidisciplinary level.
The supervisory staff represents a wide range of cardiovascular research expertise and work in several major categories of basic research with international collaborations and activities at international level involving societies and meetings. The following list indicates the major categories of research covered by our supervisory team.
- Vascular and Myocardial Biology, Signalling and Disease Pathogenesis
- Vascular biology and biomedicine
- Cardiac Arrhythmias and Cardiac Function
- Metabolic syndrome, obesity and diabetes
- Immunity, inflammation and cardiovascular disease
- Kidney disease and stroke as complications of cardiovascular disease
- Mathematical modelling of the heart and vasculature
Embedded within the Institute of Cardiovascular and Medical Sciences is the BHF Centre of Excellence, which is 1 of 6 in the UK. The Centre focuses on Vascular Biology and Biomedicine with 4 major research priorities:
- Immune dysregulation in vascular disease
- Vascular redox biology and signalling in cardiovascular disease
- Vascular mechanisms of pulmonary hypertension
- Early onset vascular disease and socioeconomic status
Research in ICAMS spans fundamental basic science to clinical trials to population studies. A number of cross-cutting technological platforms enhance the science in ICAMS, including proteomics, bioinformatics, stratified medicine, pathology, imaging and in-vivo models.
This scheme starts with an intensive first year of training in research techniques and theory, and three research placements, prior to a 3-year PhD research project. Each year, five fully funded scholarships are awarded to outstanding students with a strong scientific background. Stipend rates start at £19,919 per annum.