Working closely with the Deans for Graduate Studies Committee, the Postgraduate Research (PGR) Service is responsible for assisting in the development and implementation of University-wide strategy and policy relating to Postgraduate matters. The PGR Service provides guidance, support and information to Graduate Schools, and acts as the main contact point for external bodies. In addition the PGR Service, through the Researcher Development Committee, supports the implementation of the Researcher Development Framework and organises and coordinates transferable skills training for researchers.
The PGR Service facilitates the enhancement of the PGR experience through co-ordination of the Graduate School Review process and maintenance of the PGR Code of Practice. The Service administers and co-ordinates several cross-University Scholarship Schemes as well as the post award management of studentship grants, such as Research Council Doctoral Training Grants (DTGs).
The PGR Service also assists with administration and event management for four highly influential University of Glasgow research networks (Glasgow Centre for International Development (GCID), Glasgow Refugee, Asylum and Migration Network (GRAMNet), Sustainable Development Network (SDN)) and the Glasgow Human Rights Network (GHRN).
- Organise and collate institutional responses to external consultations regarding PGR matters (e.g. RCUK submission rate surveys).
- Central point of contact for scholarship funders, develop and strengthen external relationships with Research Councils and other appropriate organisations.
- Liaise with Finance Office to ensure appropriate management of all scholarship schemes.
- Annual funding forecasts and calculation of funding available for PG Research Scholarships.
- Publicity of PG scholarship schemes.
- Management of the University’s RCUK funded schemes liaising with R&E, Senior Management and Colleges.
- Oversee implementation of the University’s PGR Strategy and ensure objectives are met.
- Provide advice on, and assist with, the development of new PhD opportunities, including liaison with the Senate Office, Registry, the Recruitment and International Office and prospective partner institutions.
- Support the development and delivery of training for researchers which will their enhance personal, professional and career development
The Postgraduate Research (PGR) team is responsible for assisting in the development of College strategies and policy relating to Postgraduate matters. They also have responsibility for the administration of cross-University Scholarship Schemes, the coordination of cross college scholarship initiatives as well as post award management of scholarships.
Postgraduate Research Service website
Details of available Scholarships and how to apply
Information and advice on the RCUK Joint Electronic Submission System
Information on Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) Postgraduate Student Funding
Researcher development implementation, policy and strategy
Mary Beth Kneafsey, Postgraduate Research Strategy Administrator
Elizabeth Adams, Researcher Development Officer
Lauren Roberts, Postgraduate Research Administrative Assistant