This is the preparation development programme for aspiring headteachers in Scotland. The programme combines the professional award of the Scottish Qualification for Headship with the academic award of the PgDip.
- This programme has been running successfully across Scotland and has been recently revised and re-accredited with the General Teaching Council for Scotland.
- The programme is delivered by staff who work with a range of national and international groups in supporting leadership development at all levels in the school.
- We are one of the founding partner in the Western Consortium for aspiring headteachers in Scotland.
- PgDip: 24 months part-time
The focus of the programme is on the development of leadership in school and to enable participants meet the Scottish professional standard, The Standard for Headship.
The programme consists of four units
- Educational leadership
- Improving capability
- Leading to improve learning part 1
- Leading to improve learning part 2.
The programme uses a blended learning approach, including taught elements, distance learning, collaborative peer and group learning as well as practice based learning, in which you undertake whole school management development projects.
As a graduate you would have all the necessary attributes for senior leadership and headship positions within schools.
Academic entry requirements
You must be fully registered with the General Teaching Council and have five years teaching and access to a suitable work environment. Entry to the programme is through local authority or employer nomination.
International students with academic qualifications below those required should
contact our partner institution, Glasgow International College, who
offer a range of foundation courses.
English language requirements
For applicants whose first language is not English, the University sets a minimum English Language proficiency level.
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic module (not General Training):
- overall score 6.5
- no sub-test less than 6.0
- or equivalent scores in another recognised qualification (see below)
Common equivalent English language qualifications:
- ibTOEFL: 92; no sub-test less than 20
- CAE (Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English): B minimum
- CPE (Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English): C minimum
- PTE Academic (Person Test of English, Academic test): 60; no sub-test less than 59
The University of Glasgow accepts evidence of the required language level from the Language Centre Pre-sessional courses. We also consider other BALEAP accredited pre-sessional courses:
Visa requirements and proof of English language level
It is a visa requirement to provide information on your level of English based on an internationally recognised and secure English language test. All test reports must be no more than 2 years old. A list of these can be found on the UK Border Agency website. If you have never taken one of these tests before, you can get an initial idea of your level by using the Common European Framework self-assessment grid which gives you a level for each skill (e.g. listening B1/writing B2 etc.) However, please note that this is not a secure English language test and it is not sufficient evidence of your level of English for visa requirements.
If you require a Tier 4 student visa, your qualification must be one of the secure English language tests accepted by UK Border Agency:
For further information about English language requirements, please contact the Recruitment and International Office: firstname.lastname@example.org