Primary Physical Education (inservice programme)
A brief history of the programme
The Postgraduate Certificate in Primary Physical Education (PGCertPPE) has been running since 2004. Over the past 5 years the programme has attracted substantial support from Scottish Government with in excess of 650 teachers being funded through the programme. This unique programme is delivered across Scotland in a variety of locations such as Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Ayrshire, Highland, Dumfries & Galloway, Renfrewshire, Falkirk, Argyll & Bute and Scottish Borders. The programme is primarily concerned with improving the quality of learning and teaching of Physical Education in primary schools. Fundamental to the development of this programme is the acknowledgement of the importance of Physical Education in the education of the 3-14 age group and an awareness of the need to respond, creatively and appropriately, to current and future developments.
Audience of the programme
The focus of programme is on Primary Physical Education and so it is anticipated that the following categories of teachers will be interested in such professional development.
- Primary class teachers who have the prime responsibility for the Physical Education of their own class
- Specialist teachers of Physical Education in Primary and Special Schools
- Teachers holding a promoted post in primary schools and who wish to develop their knowledge and understanding of Physical Education in order to fulfil their role more effectively
- Head Teachers of primary schools who wish to extend their understanding and expertise in relation to the management of Physical Education within the curriculum
- Teachers in the pre5 sector.