The programme is made up of three components:
- Core courses: two courses, taught over two ten-week teaching periods, from October to December and January to March
- Option courses: four courses of your choice, also taught in ten-week blocks, from October to December and January to March
- A dissertation: written during the final phase of the course, from April to September (MSc only)
The summer internship, language course or combined internship/language course as an elective. You may also choose, with the Convener’s approval, from courses in the other subjects in the School of Social and Political Sciences.
1) Some courses might not be available every year.
2) Students taking the internship/language option have to pay for their own travel, accommodation and fees for the internship placement and/or language course in China. This option is not available to Chinese nationals.
The dissertation is your opportunity to explore your own specialist interest in China and to demonstrate the research and writing skills you have developed during the course.
With the advice of your supervisor you will develop a topic, undertake primary and secondary research, and write a 12,000-15,000 word dissertation which you will submit in September. The dissertation could form the basis for a PhD thesis.