Family FAQs

Family FAQs


Please note that UK Visas & Immigration will make changes to the immigration rules for Tier 4 students and their dependants as well as to other immigration categories.  Many of these changes will affect applications made on or after 6 April 2014.  We will endeavour to update our webpages with the changes as soon as possible, however this may take some time.  In the meantime, we advise that you please refer to the relevant pages of the Home Office website.

I would like my family to join me in the UK as my dependants.  What do they need to do?

• EEA/Swiss nationals
If your dependants are nationals of an EEA country, or of Switzerland, then they can come with you to the UK without immigration restrictions.
If your family members are non-EEA or Swiss nationals but are living legally in another EEA member state or in Switzerland, they can apply for an EEA family permit online or using form VAF5. This application is free of charge. If your family members are not visa nationals and they are coming to stay with you for under 6 months, they do not need to get an EEA family permit before travelling, and can just apply when they arrive in the UK. They will need evidence of their relationship to you.

• Non-EEA/Swiss nationals
You cannot bring your dependants to the UK unless you are sponsored by a higher education institution on a course at SCQF level 11 or above which lasts 12 months or more; OR a new government-sponsored student following a course which lasts longer than 6 months.  Your dependants will have to apply for entry clearance in their home country before travelling to the UK.  For more information, please visit the UKVI website.

Can my child go to school in the UK?

Free schooling is available for all children of students over 5 years and under 16 years of age. Parents are legally obliged to enrol their school age children full-time in school but please note that schools are under no obligation to enrol a child over the age of 16.  It is only possible to enrol a child once they are resident in Glasgow.  Documents to be shown at enrolment are:

  • Birth certificate
  • Passport
  • Evidence of residency in Glasgow (e.g. utility bill / tenancy agreement)
  • Evidence of relationship between the child and the person enrolling the child (e.g. parent's name on birth certificate, child's name in parent's passport)

For information about enrolling your children in a local school, visit the Glasgow City Council website on Schools and Nurseries.  There are also more details in this information sheet from the British Council.

Do the International Student Support team provide support for families?

The International Student Support team run the International Family Network which offers a programme of activities and events for international students who have their families here with them in Glasgow.  Our programme includes a weekly International Family Lunch, free English classes for spouses and partners of international students, a childrens' Christmas party and other events at weekends and during the school holidays.  Have a look at the webpage above for more details!