Charles Rennie Mackintosh, 1904 - 05
Ebonised mahogany and sycamore, with peartree, mother-of-pearl, ivory, glass and silvered metal
This was Mackintosh's personal writing cabinet. It was based on a design for his important patron, Walter Blackie, at The Hill House, and is one of the most luxurious pieces he designed, using a range of materials and subtle tapering and geometric forms. The cabinet was sold at auction in the late 1970s for a world-record price for a piece of 20th century furniture. A successful appeal secured it for the University and it is now on display in the studio of The Mackintosh House.
Location: The Mackintosh House, Hunterian Art Gallery