The Hunterian is one of the world’s leading university museums and one of Scotland’s greatest cultural assets. For over 200 years we have collected across multiple disciplines for research, teaching and learning. The original collection, bequeathed by Dr William Hunter in 1783, has grown substantially and now encompasses over 1.5 million objects.
Over one million of the items from our collections are now being moved to bespoke storage facilities at Kelvin Hall - the newly refurbished Glasgow landmark building transformed by a partnership between the University, city of Glasgow and the National Library of Scotland.
The new state of the art facilities at Kelvin Hall will allow the University of Glasgow to build on its international reputation for collection based research and teaching, offering much greater access to collections while forging new academic and educational practice.
At Kelvin Hall the University has created research and teaching labs and state of the art conservation studios alongside search and seminar rooms, dedicated postgraduate study space, a conference suite and library. Hunterian staff have new office space within the development while our existing public galleries (Museums, Art Gallery and The Mackintosh House) remain open on the University campus in their current locations.
Visit the Kelvin Hall venue website.