Fw: Scottish Archaeology Month

Subject: Fw: Scottish Archaeology Month
From: Iain Flett (iain.flett@dundeecity.gov.uk)
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 09:18:00 BST

<<<<
To send to the entire Scotarch list, include the address
scotarch@gla.ac.uk
in your set of recipients (e.g. add that address as a "cc:" recipient
when replying).

Apologies for cross posting. Details of Scottish Archaelogy Month (September) on
http://www.doorsopendays.org.uk/sam/events.htm
or scroll down
Iain Flett
Scottish Archaeology Month PROGRAMME
SCOTTISH ARCHAEOLOGY MONTH 2002
ABERDEEN CITY COUNCIL ARCHAEOLOGY UNIT
Throughout September
Monday - Saturday 10.00am-5.00pm
Sunday 1.00pm-4.00pm
Aberdeen's Time Trail: 25 Years of the City's Archaeological Unit
Exhibition celebrating the silver jubilee of the archaeological unit, providing
serious and light hearted information about Aberdeen's archaeology, and the
work
of the people who care for it.
Venue: Provost Skene's House.
For further information contact: Judith Stones, Tel: 01224-523658
THE NATIONAL TRUST FOR SCOTLAND - MAR LODGE ESTATE
Sunday 1st1.00pm-4.00pm
>From Bears to Backpacks - A look at our changing landscape
A leisurely walk in Glen Dee, enjoying beautiful views of landscape influenced
by people past and present.Booking is essential.Stout footwear and warm
waterproof clothing is recommended.
For further information contact: Mar Lodge Estate Ranger Service, Tel:
01339-741669
ABERDEEN CITY COUNCIL ARCHAEOLOGY UNIT
Wednesday 11th12.30pm-12.50pm
A 'virtual' Carmelite Friary
Lunchtime talk by Judith Stones, Keeper of Archaeology, who will discuss the
use
of old and new technologies to bring to life discoveries made in The Green.
Venue: Provost Skene's House.
For further information contact: Judith Stones, Tel: 01224-523658
ABERDEEN CITY COUNCIL ARCHAEOLOGY UNIT
Saturday 14th10.00am-5.00pm
More tales from the Tolbooth
The Tolbooth Museum, Aberdeen's Museum of Civic History, a piece of upstanding
archaeology, will feature a dynamic historical re-enactment of the trial of a
suspected witch. Discover the fate of suspected witches in the setting of
Aberdeen's early modern ward house. The Tolbooth will also feature local
history
and archaeology exhibitions.
For further information contact: Chris Croly, Tel: 01224-523653
ABERDEEN CITY COUNCIL ARCHAEOLOGY UNIT
Wednesday 18th12.30pm-1.00pm
The Archaeology of Seaton Pottery
This illustrated talk will present the results of the recently completed
geophysical survey and excavation at the site of Seaton Pottery in Aberdeen.
Venue: Provost Skene's House.
For further information contact: Alison Cameron, Tel: 01224-523654
ABERDEENSHIRE COUNCIL ARCHAEOLOGY SERVICE
Throughout September
Monday - Friday 9.00am-5.00pm
Aspects of Archaeology in Aberdeenshire
A poster exhibition on the work of the Archaeology Service over Aberdeenshire,
including forestry, rural stewardship schemes, planning, aerial photography and
current projects.
Location: Council HQ Woodhill House, Westburn Road.
For further information contact: Moira Greig, Tel: 01224-664726
ABERDEENSHIRE
ARCHAEOLINK PREHISTORY PARK
Saturday 7th11.00am-5.00pm
Prehistoric Textiles
Follow the fashions of the prehistoric past and discover how textiles developed.

There will be an opportunity to try your hand at spinning, tablet weaving and
dying cloth. There is also an opportunity to watch a three screen film of the
past 6000 years of Scottish prehistory as well as visiting the Myths & Legends
Gallery and take part in the Archaeoquest - a computer programme which can
tailor make a map of the north east of Scotland highlighting sites that are of
interest to you. The park is suitable for all ages.
For further information contact: Antoinette Stewart, Tel: 01464-581500
CELTIC KNOTWORKS
Sunday 15th2.00pm-6.00pm
Boat Builders BC
Experimental archaeology and living history group Celtic Knotworks will travel
down the river Deveron in reconstructions of prehistoric boats. When we land at
Huntly, we will demonstrate how the boats were built and related crafts. The
reconstructions are based on a log boat found near Turiff in the 19th century
and recently dated as one of the earliest in Scotland. An unusual opportunity
see experimental archaeology in action.
Location: Huntly recreation ground between Nordic Ski Centre and Huntly Castle,
Huntly.
For further information contact: Dr. Hilary Murray, Tel: 01651-806394
ABERDEENSHIRE COUNCIL ARCHAEOLOGY SERVICE
Throughout September
Aspects of Archaeology in Aberdeenshire
A poster exhibition on the work of the Archaeology Service over Aberdeenshire,
including forestry, rural stewardship schemes, planning, aerial photography and
current projects.
Locations: Aden Country Park, Mintlaw; Council Offices, Viewmount, Arduthi Road,

Stonehaven; Archaeolink Prehistory Park in Oyne; and Council Offices, The Town
House, Banff.
For further information contact: Moira Greig, Tel: 01224-664726
ANGUS
MONTROSE BASIN HERITAGE SOCIETY
Throughout September
Monday - Sunday 10.00am-5.00pm
Montrose Basin - 5000 years of a Changing Landscape
Display of findings from the heritage society's Local History Survey.
Location: Montrose Basin Wildlife Centre, Rossie Braes, Montrose.
For further information contact: Linda Fraser, Tel: 01674-840402
DENOON ARCHAEOLOGY TRAIL
Saturday 14th2.00pm onwards
Sunday 15th2.00pm-5.00pm
Denoon Archaeology Trail
Denoon Glen, 3 miles from Glamis in the Sidlaws, is a beautiful glen with a
wealth of archaeology/ Neolithic burial sites, a Pictish Fort, Bronze Age cup
and ring marked stones, to mention a few features hidden within the glen.
Various trails can be taken depending on ability and interest. Maps will be
available with local enthusiasts to act as guides. Stout shoes and warm
waterproof clothing is recommended. Bring a packed lunch.
Meeting place: Easter Denoon Farmhouse.
For further information contact: Jane Brewster, Tel: 01307-840313
ABERDEENSHIRE COUNCIL ARCHAEOLOGY SERVICE
Throughout September
Monday - Saturday 10.00am-5.00pm
The Archaeology Service in Angus
A poster exhibition of the work of the Archaeology Service in Angus including
aerial photographic reconnaissance over the past few years.
Location: Montrose Museum.
For further information contact: Moira Greig, Tel: 01224-664726
ARGYLL & BUTE
KILMARTIN HOUSE TRUST
Sunday 1st1.00pm-4.30pm
Saturday 7th10.30am-4.30pm
Sunday 8th10.30am-4.30pm
Monday 9th10.30am-4.30pm
SUNART OAKWOODS RESEARCH GROUP
The Archaeology of the Resipole Gorge
An exciting guided walk round the gorge to explore the history of the Sunart
Oakwoods and visit some of the very few round houses recorded in North Argyll.
Other sites that will be visited include: a long house, dykes, wood pastures,
clearance cairns, enclosures, parliamentary Bridge which is founded on oak
piles
and much more. Stout footwear and warm waterproof clothing is recommended.
Please note that an adult must accompany children and the walk is not suitable
for children under the age of 10.
Meeting place: Resipole Caravan Park, Salen, Acharacle.
For further information contact: Jim Kirby, Tel:01967-402151
Coracle Making
Take this opportunity to try your hand at Coracle Making, an ancient method of
constructing boats using wicker and synthetic skin crafts. Guidance and
instruction will be given by members of Argyll Green Woodworkers Association.
Booking is essential. Stout footwear and warm waterproof clothing is
recommended. Bring a packed lunch if required.
For further information contact: David Adams McGilp, Tel: 01546-510278
ROSS OF MULL HISTORICAL CENTRE
Sunday 8th10.00am-12.00noon
Guided Walk and Activities
Guided walk with related activities for children of 8-12 years old to the
deserted township of Knocknafenaig, led by relevant experts and local guides.
Booking is essential. Stout footwear and warm waterproof clothing is
recommended. Bring a camera.
Meeting place: Uisken Road End.
For further information contact: Amber Knight, Tel: 01681-700659
ROSS OF MULL HISTORICAL CENTRE
Sunday 8th10.00am-3.00pm
Guided Walk
Circular guided walk from Uisken to the deserted township of Am Fan and
Knocknafenaig, led by relevant experts and local guides. Booking is essential.
Stout footwear and warm waterproof clothing is recommended. Bring a packed
lunch.
Meeting place: Uisken.
For further information contact: Amber Knight, Tel: 01681-700659
LORN ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Saturday 28th9.30am-4.00pm
Roaming in Glen Lonan
Tour led by a local guide around some of the sites of archaeological interest
in
the glen, including an opportunity to try active field surveying. Booking is
essential. Stout footwear and warm waterproof clothing is recommended. Bring a
packed lunch.
Meeting place: Corran Halls car park, Oban.
For further information contact: Liza Bourne, Tel: 01631-563955
KILMARTIN HOUSE TRUST
Saturday 28th10.30am-4.30pm
Archaeological Illustration Workshop for Adults
Workshop providing a relaxed and informal introduction to archaeological
illustration by exploring and experimenting with different techniques and
standards. Booking is essential. Bring a packed lunch if required.
For further information contact: David Adams McGilp, Tel: 01546-510278
KILMARTIN HOUSE TRUST
Sunday 29th10.30am-4.30pm
Family Archaeology and Art Workshop
Family introduction to illustrative techniques.
For further information contact: David Adams McGilp, Tel: 01546-510278
CLACKMANNANSHIRE
CLACKMANNANSHIRE FIELD STUDIES SOCIETY
Sunday 1st11.00am-3.00pm
Menstrie Glen - 500 years of Documented History of "a Well Sheltered and
Watered
Place"
Guided walk over the Ochil Hills following a drove road through a unique glen
led by Dave Cowley of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical
Monuments of Scotland. For those who feel energetic there will be the option at
the end of the walk to view the Iron Age Fort to the west of the summit of
Dumyat. Appropriate reading materials for the walk can be obtained from the
Clackmannanshire Field Studies Society. Booking is essential. Stout footwear
and
warm waterproof clothing is recommended. Bring a packed lunch.
Meeting place: Track for Lossburn on Sheriffmuir Road.
For further information contact: Dick Clark, Tel: 01259-212395
DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY
STRANRAER MUSEUM
Saturday 28th1.00pm-5.00pm
Guided Walk to Gleniron Tombs and Surrounding Sites
A guided walk led by Dr. Jane Murray, to the Neolithic Chambered Cairns at
Gleniron near Glenluce, Wigtownshire. The walk will also include visits to
other
sites near Gleniron Fell. Booking is essential. Stout footwear and warm
waterproof clothing is recommended. Not suitable for children under the age of
10 years and children under the age of 16 years of age must be accompanied by
an
adult. No dogs are allowed.
For further information contact: John Pickin, Tel: 01776-705088
DUNDEE
DUNDEE CITY COUNCIL - LEISURE AND ARTS DEPARTMENT
Saturday 21st10.30am-5.00pm
McManus Archaeological Road Show
Archaeological demonstration and identification session with Dundee Museums in
conjunction with the Scottish Urban Archaeological Trust Ltd. (SUAT). Bring
your
own mystery object to find out about the clues which archaeologists use in
recording artefacts. There will be an accompanying children's quiz competition
'Doors in Archaeology'.
Location: McManus Galleries, Albert Square.
For further information contact: Adrian Zealand, Tel: 01382-432058
EAST AYRSHIRE
EAST AYRSHIRE COUNTRYSIDE RANGER SERVICE
Saturday 7th2.00pm-4.00pm
Bricks and Bonnets
Come with us on a walk through time and uncover the industrial archaeology of
Dean Castle Country Park, Kilmarnock in the company of Jason Sutcliff of East
Ayrshire Council Museums Service. This is an opportunity to learn how geology
has influenced Kilmarnock's history. To book a place on the walk register at
the
visitor centre 15min. prior to the event. Stout footwear and warm waterproof
clothing is recommended. Please note that all children must be accompanied by
an
adult.
Meeting place: Visitor Centre, Dean Castle Country Park.
For further information contact: Nicola MacIntyre, Tel: 01563-522702
EAST LOTHIAN
EAST LOTHIAN COUNCIL
Thursday 5th7.00pm-9.00pm
East Lothian's Prehistoric Past
Evening lectures examining the evidence for prehistoric remains in East Lothian
with key note speaker Duncan Hale focusing on the Traprain Environs Survey.
Venue: Haddington Town House.
For further information contact: Biddy Simpson, Tel: 01620-827158
EAST LOTHIAN COUNCIL
Friday 6th7.00pm-9.00pm
Community Archaeology: Getting Down and Dirty
Susan Buckham, from the Council for Scottish Archaeology and Tom Dawson from St.

Andrews University, introduce two practical archaeological projects in which
any
one can get involved. These projects are: graveyard surveys and recording
coastal archaeological remains.
Venue: Haddington Town House.
For further information contact: Biddy Simpson, Tel: 01620-827158
EAST LOTHIAN COUNCIL
Sunday 8th2.00pm-4.00pm
Children's Hands-on Archaeology Session
A hands-on archaeology activity session for young archaeologists. Activities
will include: artefact handling, grinding grain, making replica artefacts and
much, much more.
Venue: North Berwick Museum in the Education room.
For further information contact: Biddy Simpson, Tel: 01620-827158
EAST LOTHIAN COUNCIL
Sunday 8th11.00am-12.15pm
A Walk in the Past: Whittinghame Parish from Stone Age to Present DayAn
archaeological tour of Whittinghame with consultant archaeologist David
Connolly. Booking is essential. Stout footwear and warm waterproof clothing is
recommended.
Meeting place: The School, Luggate Burn.
For further information contact: Biddy Simpson, Tel: 01620-827158
EAST LOTHIAN COUNCIL
Sunday 8th11.00am-12.00noon
An Early Christian Graveyard at Kingston Common
Tour and talk by consultant archaeologist Ian Suddaby about the archaeological
findings of an early gravesite found recently on Kingston common, near Fenton
Tower. Booking is essential. Stout footwear and warm waterproof clothing is
recommended.
Meeting place: Fenton Tower car park.
For further information contact: Biddy Simpson, Tel: 01620-827158
EAST LOTHIAN COUNTRYSIDE RANGER SERVICE
Sunday 8th1.30pm-3.30pm
Celts, Romans and Legends of Traprain
A guided walk to hear about the guardians of Traprain Law hill fort from
pre-Roman times to the present day. The route is an easy and steady climb from
the car park to the summit. Stout footwear and warm waterproof clothing is
recommended.
Meeting place: Car park (north side) Traprain Law, near East Linton.
For further information contact: Bobby Anderson, Tel: 01620-827318
EAST LOTHIAN COUNCIL
Sunday 8th2.00pm-3.00pm
The Iron Age Fort at the Chesters, Drem
An archaeological tour of Chesters Fort with Patrick Ashmore from Historic
Scotland. Booking is essential. Stout footwear and warm waterproof clothing is
recommended.
Meeting place: Chesters Fort car park.
For further information contact: Biddy Simpson, Tel: 01620-827158
EAST LOTHIAN COUNCIL
Sunday 8th2.00pm-3.30pm
The Archaeology of Towns: North Berwick
A guided tour of the medieval town of North Berwick led by Olwyn Owen from
Historic Scotland. Booking is essential. Warm waterproof clothing is
recommended.
Meeting place: St. Andrews Kirk, Anchor Green, by the Scottish Seabird Centre.
For further information contact: Biddy Simpson, Tel: 01620-827158
THE NATIONAL TRUST FOR SCOTLAND - NEWHAILES
Saturday 21st2.00pm-3.30pm
Amazing Archaeology with Abigail
This fun tour will be an opportunity for people who have no experience of
archaeology to find out what we are doing at Newhailes and handle some
archaeological finds. Family groups are welcome and the tour will look at some
of the curious and intriguing parts of the landscape including a grotesque
Grotto, a suspicious Sphinx and a terrible tunnel. Bring your imagination and
be
prepared to handle history! Booking is essential. Stout footwear and warm
waterproof clothing is recommended.
Meeting place: Stables Courtyard, Newhailes Estate, Musselburgh.
For further information contact: Abigail Daly, Tel: 0131-653 5594
THE NATIONAL TRUST FOR SCOTLAND - NEWHAILES
Saturday 28th2.00pm-3.30pm
Follies, Frolics and Fun: Garden Archaeology at Newhailes
The historic landscape of Newhailes is one of the most archaeologically
investigated sites of its kind in Scotland. The talk and tour are aimed at
people familiar with historic landscapes but not necessarily familiar with
garden archaeology. Archaeological artefacts will be examined and special
features in the landscape visited, such as the Shell Grotto and Flower Garden.
Booking is essential. Stout footwear and warm waterproof clothing is
recommended.
Meeting place: Stables Courtyard, Newhailes Estate, Musselburgh.
For further information contact: Abigail Daly, Tel: 0131-653 5594
EAST RENFREWSHIRE
RENFREWSHIRE LOCAL HISTORY FORUM
Sunday 8th10.00am-4.00pm
Barrhouse, Neilston Excavation
Excavation open days - come see a dig in progress. Renfrewshire Local History
Forum members and friends conclude the fifth season of excavating this
post-medieval farmhouse in East Renfrewshire Community Woodland. Directions:
>From Neilston Station take the road towards Stewarton uphill to outskirts of
the
village then follow the Community Woodland paths situated to the left of the
Pad
(hill). By car on road for 2 miles then follow DIG signs to the left. Stout
footwear and warm waterproof clothing is recommended.
For further information contact: Bruce Henry, Tel: 0141-881 4958 or John
McDonald, Tel: 0141-561 8992
EDINBURGH
NATIONAL MUSEUMS OF SCOTLAND EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Saturday 7thand 21st2.15pm-3.00pm
Sunday 15thand 29th2.15pm-3.00pm
Chasing the Deer
Come and explore the life of Scotland's early people using our Deer Box
containing sounds and replica objects. Workshop is suitable for children age
7-12 years. Just turn up at the information desk at the Royal Museum of
Scotland, Chambers Street. Places available on a first come first served basis.
For further information contact: Susan Marshall, Tel: 0131-247 4215
HISTORIC SCOTLAND RANGER SERVICE
Sunday 8th11.00am-3.00pm
Archaeology Day
Bring the family to Holyrood Park and learn what life was like 2000 years ago.
Join in games and activities throughout the day. Stout footwear and warm
waterproof clothing is recommended. If you intend to stay all day bring a
packed
lunch.
Meeting place: Holyrood Lodge.
For further information contact: Susan Ritchie, Tel: 0131-556 1761
ROYAL COMMISSION ON THE ANCIENT AND HISTORICAL MONUMENTS OF SCOTLAND
Monday 9th1.00pm-2.00pm
Rock carvings in Upper Strathtay
Lunchtime lecture by archaeologist Alex Hale. Come along and hear about recent
archaeological research into the prehistoric cup and ring markings of Strathtay.

Booking is essential.
Venue: Conference Room at the RCAHMS, 16 Bernard Terrace.
For further information contact: RCAHMS, Tel: 0131-662 1456
ROYAL COMMISSION ON THE ANCIENT AND HISTORICAL MONUMENTS OF SCOTLAND
Wednesday 18th1.00pm-2.00pm
'Mucking About in the Small Isles'
Lunchtime lecture by Angela Gannon. Come along and hear about recent surveys on
Canna, Eigg and Muck. Booking is essential.
Venue: Conference Room at the RCAHMS, 16 Bernard Terrace.
For further information contact: RCAHMS, Tel: 0131-662 1456
PENTLAND HILLS RANGER SERVICE
Saturday 21st2.00pm-4.00pm
Rullion Green Revisited
Recent re-interpretation of documents written shortly after the Battle of
Rullion Green in 1666 has led some experts to believe that the battle was
fought
some distance from the accepted location. We'll look at the "new" battle site
and also step further back in time to view some Iron Age archaeology in the
vicinity. Booking is essential. Stout footwear and warm waterproof clothing is
recommended.
Meeting place: Pentland Hills Ranger Service Information Centre at Flotterstone,

near Flotterstone Inn.
For further information contact: Mike Hanlin, Tel: 0131-445 3383
CRAMOND HERITAGE TRUST AND EDINBURGH ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD SOCIETY
Saturday 21st2.00pm-5.00pm
Sunday 22nd2.00pm-5.00pm
Cramond - Mesolithic to Modern
See the spot where Scotland's first settlers lived - 8500BC! Guided tours
around
Cramond include the archaeology of the area, the village and its history, and
the 18th century iron mills on the River Almond. Ancient technology workshop
for
kids of all ages. Demonstration of geophysical surveying methods. 'Cramond's
Story' exhibition at the Maltings has displays on various aspects of the
village
and its people. Stout footwear and warm waterproof clothing is recommended for
the walks.
Location: The Maltings, Riverside, Cramond.
For further information contact: Val Dean, Tel: 0131-336 1512
HISTORIC SCOTLAND RANGER SERVICE
Sunday 22nd1.00pm-3.00pm
'Walk Through Time'
Join a ranger on a guided walk through Holyrood Park. This is an opportunity to
discover some of the park's fascinating history and learn how it has developed
over a period of 8000 years. Booking is essential. Stout footwear and warm
waterproof clothing is recommended.
Meeting place: Holyrood Lodge.
For further information contact: Susan Ritchie, Tel: 0131-556 1761
ROYAL COMMISSION ON THE ANCIENT AND HISTORICAL MONUMENTS OF SCOTLAND
Wednesday 25th1.00pm-2.00pm
The Recumbent Stone Circles of North-East Scotland
Lunchtime lecture by Adam Welfare. Come along and hear about recent
archaeological fieldwork and research on these distinctive monuments. Booking
is
essential.
Venue: Conference Room at the RCAHMS, 16 Bernard Terrace.
For further information contact: RCAHMS, Tel: 0131-662 1456
NATIONAL MUSEUMS OF SCOTLAND ARCHAEOLOGY DEPARTMENT
Saturday 28thonwards
Monday 30th2.00pm-3.30pm - meet the artist and guided tour
Illustrating Scotland's Past
An exhibition of drawings of Scottish Archaeological Artefacts by Marion O'Neil.

To celebrate the opening of this exhibition, there will be a 'meet the artist'
session together with a themed guided tour of the 'Early People' display in the
Museum of Scotland by Dr. Alison Sheridan, Assistant Keeper of Archaeology at
the NMS, to see some of the objects featured in Marion's drawings. Booking is
essential.
Meeting place: Information Desk at the Royal Museum, Chambers Street.
For further information contact: 0131-247 4051
FIFE
FIFE COUNCIL PLANNING AND MUSEUM SERVICES
Sunday 1st10.00am-4.30pm
Spiritual Fife: Forgotten Landscapes - The archaeology of central Fife
By visiting a number of different monument types spanning the last 6,000 years,
this day long trip brings into focus the extremely rich and varied nature of
the
archaeology of Fife from prehistoric hill forts to 20thcentury mining relics.
It
is a trip that has something for everyone. Booking is essential. Stout footwear
and warm waterproof clothing is recommended. Bring a packed lunch.
Meeting place: Lochore Meadows Country Park. For further information contact:
Douglas Speirs, Tel: 01592-416153
KIRKCALDY CIVIC SOCIETY
Sunday 1st2.00pm-4.30pm
Tour of Ravenscraig Castle and Walk to Dysart
Guided tour of Ravenscraig Castle and grounds including a walk to Dysart
through
a park. There will be a bus available to take you back to the castle from
Dysart. Sensible footwear is recommended.
For further information contact: Mrs Ann Watters, Tel: 01592-266361
SAVE THE WEMYSS ANCIENT CAVE SOCIETY
Sunday 8th2.00pm-4.30pm
Open Sunday
Visit to local mini museum about Wemyss Parish and the famous Wemyss caves.
Display materials and slide show followed by a guided walk to the caves. Stout
footwear and warm waterproof clothing is recommended.
Meeting place: Wemyss Environmental Education Centre, East Wemyss Primary
School, East Wemyss.
For further information contact: Mrs Ann Watters, Tel: 01592-266361
MONIMAIL PRESERVATION TRUST
Sunday 8th10.00am-5.00pm
Spiritual Fife: Monimail Tower A chance to investigate Monimail Tower, a
16thcentury square tower which is all that remains of the country residence of
the Bishops of St. Andrews. Booking is required only if you need assistance,
please phone: 01337-810420.
For further information contact: Tom Morton, Tel: 01337-810487
FIFE COUNCIL PLANNING AND MUSEUM SERVICES
Sunday 8th1.00pm-4.00pm
Spiritual Fife: The Coming of Christianity
Guided tour focusing on the ancient pilgrimage centre of St. Andrews. This trip
seeks to explore the earliest traces of Christianity in Fife, visiting some of
the earliest known Christian burial sites in the area. We will examine every
aspect of the evolution of Christianity from the conversion period to the
middle
ages. Booking is essential. Stout footwear and warm waterproof clothing is
recommended.
Meeting place: war memorial, outside the main cathedral gate.
For further information contact: Douglas Speirs, Tel: 01592-416153
KINCARDINE LOCAL HISTORY SOCIETY
Saturday 14th2.00pm-4.30pm
Spiritual Fife: Tulliallan Graveyard Tour
Guided tour of the carved tombstones in Old Tulliallan graveyard. This is an
excellent collection of artisan type carvings.
Meeting place: old Tulliallan graveyard, top of Kirk Street, Kincardine.
For further information contact: Bill Wolsey, Tel: 01259-730430
MEDIEVAL METHIL
Saturday 14th10.00am-5.00pm
Sunday 15th10.00am-4.00pm
Medieval Festival
Come and see how life was lived in the Levenmouth 1000 years ago and join in
some of the activities around the medieval village. There will be traditional
crafts such as woodcarving, pottery, music and storytelling, archery, hand to
hand fighting and a working half-sized trebuchet. On the Sunday, 'boys and
girls
clubs' Scotland, will compete in medieval themed events.
Location: Leven Promenade, Leven.
For further information contact: Margaret Hunter, Tel: 01333-421611
FIFE COUNCIL RANGER AND MUSEUM SERVICES
Saturday 28th2.00pm-4.00pm
Spiritual Fife: Cairns and Connections
A guided tour of Harelaw cairn and local spiritual sites. Stout shoes and warm
waterproof clothing is recommended.
Meeting place: Lochore Meadows Country Park.
For further information contact: Richard Smith, Tel: 01383-725596
CRAIL MUSEUM TRUST
Throughout September
Monday - Saturday 10.00am-1.00pm & 2.00pm-5.00pm
Sunday 2.00pm-5.00pm
Spiritual Fife: The Kilrenny Stone - Piecing Together the Pictish Past
Display of the Kilrenny Stone and evidence of an early monastery. The two parts
of this 8th-9th century Pictish cross slab bearing a Celtic cross and fox-like
beast were brought together in 1997. Come and see them and learn their story.
For further information contact: Sue Bradman, Tel: 01333-450869
GLASGOW
HISTORIC SCOTLAND
Sunday 22nd11.30am-12.30pm
Guided Tour of Crookston Castle
Glasgow's castle since 1180, the first earth and timber castle was built by
Robert de Croc who also gave his name to the area. A great stone tower house
was
added in 1400. The guided tour will explore the two castles and the results of
the archaeological investigations. Booking is essential.
Meeting place: The park below the castle in Burnside Crescent off Brockburn
Road.
For bookings: Tel: 0131-668 8775
GLASGOW ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY
Saturday 7th10.00am-3.00pm
"You'll Have had Your Marbles Then?" - A Discussion of the Role of Archaeology
in Museums
Invited speakers will start the event giving their perspective on the issue of
archaeology in museums. This session is followed by an open forum, where the
audience can ask questions and make contributions. After lunch there are
optional tours of Kelvingrove Museum or the Hunterian Museum. At the Hunterian
Museum there will be a demonstration by the Antonine Guard re-enactment group.
Location: Western Infirmary Lecture Theatre, off University Avenue.
For further information contact: Jim Mearns, Tel: 0141-945 0447 (evenings)
GLASGOW UNIVERSITY ARCHAEOLOGICAL RESEARCH DIVISION (GUARD)
Saturday 28th10.00am-4.30pm
'In Touch with the Past'
Throughout human history people have left traces of their activities behind.
Archaeologists seek to uncover and interpret these remains in order to shed
light on past communities - but how is it done? Find out here! Try your hand at
identifying sites using aerial photographs, documentary evidence and maps,
excavate a 'burial', analyse seeds, bones and artefacts. There will also be an
opportunity to reconstruct sites, structures and past landscapes as well as
listen to illustrated talks and much, much more!
Location: Gregory Building, Lilybank Gardens, University of Glasgow.
For further information contact: Caitlin Evans, Tel: 0141-330 5541
HIGHLAND
THE NATIONAL TRUST FOR SCOTLAND - INVEREWE ESTATE
Saturday 31stAug. 10.30am-3.30pm
Walk Into the Past at Inverewe
A guided walk to the most westerly point of Inverewe Estate will take you
through 3000 years of Inverewe's past. From prehistoric homes to a deserted
township and more recent land uses too. This is a long walk over rough hill
ground. It is not suitable for primary school children and children under the
age of 16 years must be accompanied by an adult - but do come and see what you
can discover! Booking is essential. Stout footwear and warm waterproof clothing
is recommended. Bring a packed lunch and a hot drink.
Meeting place: Inverewe Gardens Ranger Office.
For further information contact: Robert Dewar, Tel: 01445-781431
DUNBEATH PRESERVATION TRUST
Sunday 1st2.00pm - 4.30pm
Warlords, Ritual Cleansing, Divination?
Warlords? Ritual Cleansing? Divination? Join an archaeologist on a guided tour
of Forse a landscape with remarkable depth. Learn its stories and explore the
evidence. Stout footwear and warm waterproof clothing is recommended.
Meeting place: The Cottage, Nottingham Mains, Latheron.
For further information contact: Meg Sinclair, Tel: 01593-731233
THE NATIONAL TRUST FOR SCOTLAND - BALMACARA
Saturday 7th10.30am-2.30pm
Balmacara's Hidden Past
There is a surprising range of evidence for how people have used the landscape
around Balmacara. Come with us into the hills to discover farmsteads and
military bases, prehistoric houses and more recent homes. Please note that
people under 16 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. Booking is
essential. Stout footwear and warm waterproof clothing is recommended. Bring
snacks.
Meeting place: By the Mill Pond, Balmacara Square.
For further information contact: Ian Turnbull or Sheena Finlayson, Tel:
01599-566325
NORTH OF SCOTLAND ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY (NOSAS)
Saturday 7th10.30am-4.00pm
Grudie Township Guided Walk
A fascinating walk along the upper reaches of beautiful Strath Brora, taking in
a wide variety of archaeology. The river valley of Dalreavoch houses a group of
hut circles, field systems and a cist burial dating to prehistoric times and
the
extensive remains of Grudie Township, a post-medieval settlement with
corn-drying kilns, vertical mill and even a smiddy. A chance to learn about the
place, it's people and past. The walk is approx. 4 miles. Reasonable level of
fitness is required. Stout footwear and warm waterproof clothing is recommended.

Meeting place: Brora Heritage Centre (NGR: NC 8980 0423). Car sharing will be
required to the walk starting point and returning to Brora Heritage Centre.
For further information contact: Jacqueline Aitken, Tel: 01408-621674 or
01463-702505
NORTH OF SCOTLAND ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY Sunday 29th10.30am-4.00pm
Deserted settlements of Badenoch - a guided walk near Kingussie
A walk of 8km, rough in places and with some 120m of ascent, following Raitts
Burn to the north of Balavil House and visiting 3 clearance settlements and
associated improved ground of Achadh aí Chata. This is a deserted landscape of
geological interest too. Return by way of settlements to Upper Raitts and the
recently excavated Easter Raitts, on which the reconstructed township at
Newtonmore Folk Park is based. Stout footwear and warm waterproof clothing is
recommended. Bring a packed lunch. Dogs are not allowed. Meeting place: Car
park
at Chapelpark Farm, GRNH783019, on east side of Lynchat village, accessed from
the old A9.
For further information contact: George Grant, Tel: 01479-851263 or
01667-453886
(day-time)
MIDLOTHIAN
AOC ARCHAEOLOGY GROUP
Saturday 28th11.00am-4.00pm
Archaeologists - Building the Picture of Our Heritage
Come along to the open day at AOC's head office. There will be a chance to
handle real archaeology and to learn how archaeologists build an understanding
of our heritage and culture through the analysis of samples taken from project
sites.
Location: Edgefield Road, Industrial Estate, Loanhead.
For further information contact: Lynda Stoddart, Tel: 0131-440 3593
MORAY
ELGIN MUSEUM
Saturday 7th11.00am-11.30am - ancient craft activities
11.30am-12.00noon - storytelling
Stories from Ancient Times
Come and try your hand at ancient crafts such as hand spinning and grinding
grain with a stone quern, and find out how archaeologists piece together
evidence from the past. Then take the opportunity to listen to Scottish
traditional stories from ancient times chosen by members of the Elgin Museum's
Discovery Club (8-12 year olds) and Carol Scorer. Please note that children
under the age of 8 must be accompanied by an adult.
For further information contact: Carol Scorer, Tel: 01343-543675
ABERDEENSHIRE COUNCIL & MORAY COUNCIL ARCHAEOLOGY SERVICES
Throughout September
Monday - Saturday 10.00am-5.00pm
Archaeological Aerial Reconnaisance in Moray
A poster exhibition of Aerial Photographs taken in Moray by the Archaeology
Service over the last five years.
Location: The Falconer Museum, Forres.
For further information contact: Moira Greig, Tel: 01224-664726
NORTH AYRSHIRE
LARGS AND DISTRICT HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Sunday 1st2.00pm-4.00pm
Historic Buildings of Largs
A guided walk to view some of the historical buildings of Largs. Sensible
footwear and warm waterproof clothing is recommended.
For further information contact: Mike MacKenzie, Tel: 01475-687081
NORTH LANARKSHIRE
NORTH LANARKSHIRE COUNCIL COUNTRYSIDE RANGER SERVICE
Sunday 29th2.00pm-4.00pm
Step Back in Time
This event will look at Strathclyde country parks rich history, from pre roman
times to the present day. A guided walk which will look at how man has used the
areas natural resources which has made our landscape what it is today. The
journey will begin by visiting the Roman fort and Bathhouse, Orbiston Estate
then explore other historical sites throughout the park. Stout footwear and
warm
waterproof clothing is recommended. Meeting Place: Roman Fort car park. For
further information contact: The Ranger Service, Tel: 01698-266155 ext.131
ORKNEY
ORKNEY ARCHAEOLOGICAL TRUST
Sunday 1st12.00noon-4.00pm
Minehowe Excavation Visit
An opportunity to visit the current excavation at Minehowe, Tankerness. The
visit to the excavation is free of charge, but for those who wish to go on to
visit the monument there will be an admission charge.
For further information contact: Orkney Archaeological Trust, Tel: 01856-850285
THE ORKNEY MUSEUM
Wednesday 25th1.00pm-2.00pm
Flint Knapping
Flint knapping demonstration by archaeologist Caroline Wickham-Jones.
Venue: The Orkney Museum.
For further information contact: Anne Brundle, Tel: 01856-873 191
ORKNEY HERITAGE SOCIETY
Dates to be confirmed see local press for details
Archaeological Lectures
Archaeological lectures by Dr. Colin Richards, Dr. Richard Jones, Caroline
Wickham-Jones, Jane Downes, Anne Brundle and others. Venue: Kirkwall Community
Centre & Orkney College. For further information contact: Anne Brundle, Tel:
01856-873191
PERTH AND KINROSS
PERTH MUSEUM AND ART GALLERY & PERTH AND KINROSS HERITAGE TRUST
Sunday 1st11.00am-12.00noon & 2.30pm-3.30pm
Ardoch Roman FortGuided walks around Ardoch Roman Fort in Braco. Booking is
essential. Stout footwear and warm waterproof clothing is recommended.
Meeting place: Car park layby at Ardoch.
For further information contact: Mark Hall, Tel: 01738-632488
THE NATIONAL TRUST FOR SCOTLAND AND THE GARDEN HISTORY SOCIETY IN SCOTLAND -
THE
HERMITAGE
Saturday 7th2.00pm-4.00pm
The River in the Hall of Mirrors: the Hermitage, by Dunkeld
A product of the mid 18th century taste for picturesque and sublime scenery,
the
network of walks and gardens laid out along the River Braan were designed by
John Murray, later Duke of Atholl, as a surprise for his uncle. Join a garden
historian and an archaeologist to unravel the history of these pleasure grounds,

and find out about the exciting discoveries made during recent archaeological
investigations at Ossian's Hall, overlooking the dramatic Black Linn Falls.
Stout footwear and warm waterproof clothing is recommended.
Meeting place: Lower Hermitage car park off A9, 1 mile north of Dunkeld.
For further information contact: Ben Notley, Tel: 01350-728641 or 01796-473233
THE NATIONAL TRUST FOR SCOTLAND - BEN LAWERS
Saturday 7th10.00am-4.00pm
Excavation Open Day - Ben Lawers Historic Landscape Project
The Ben Lawers Historic Landscape Project is a multi disciplinary study funded
by the Heritage Lottery Fund, Historic Scotland and The National Trust for
Scotland. Come and visit the archaeological excavations of the post-medieval
farmstead at Balnreich. There will also be excavations on other adjacent sites.
The project aims to improve our understanding of this important landscape.
Stout
footwear and warm waterproof clothing is recommended.
Location: Balnreich (NGR: NN 640 373) or Kiltyrie (NGR: NN 631 368).
For further information contact: Derek Alexander, Tel: 0141-616 5120
PSNS ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND HISTORICAL SECTION FIELD ARCHAEOLOGY GROUP
Sunday 8th9.00am-5.00pm
Prehistoric Technology Reconstruction
Display at Scottish Vintage and Engine Club Farming Yesteryear. Demonstrations
of prehistoric cooking and food preparation, pottery and flint knapping. There
will also be a mini-excavation for children.
Location: Scone Palace Show Ground.
For further information contact: Irene Hallyburton, Tel: 07974-808289
THE NATIONAL TRUST FOR SCOTLAND - BEN LAWERS
Sunday 8th11.00am-3.00pm
Peaks and Troughs - an Archaeological Walk Through Ben Lawers' Past
A guided walk to the lip of Coire Odhar (640m), where cup-marked rocks and a
cluster of shielings, some of which were recently excavated, testify to man's
past occupation of the site. The vegetation impoverished by man's exploitation
is being actively restored nearby. Time permitting, a recent excavation at
another site may be visited. Booking is essential. Stout footwear and warm
waterproof clothing is recommended. Bring a packed lunch.
Meeting place: Ben Lawers Visitor Centre.
For further information contact: David Mardon or Yvonne MacPherson, Tel:
01567-820988
THE NATIONAL TRUST FOR SCOTLAND - DUNKELD
Saturday 14th2.00pm-3.45pm
Dunkeld: Exploring the Dukes' Pleasure Grounds
Today's green and arable fields and wooded hills were once extensive formal
gardens laid out by the Duke of Atholl around his Dunkeld villa in the early
18thcentury. In the company of the NTS Regional Archaeologist, you can explore
part of these pleasure grounds, focusing on remarkable mock fortification. You
will also learn about some of the techniques archaeologists use to reveal
fascinating evidence for aristocratic power and leisure in the landscape. Stout
footwear and warm waterproof clothing is recommended.
Meeting place: North car park, Dunkeld, sign posted at north end of village.
For further information contact: Gillian Kelly, Tel: 01350-727460
PERTH YOUNG ARCHAEOLOGISTS' CLUB
Sunday 15th12.30pm-2.00pm
Tour of Greyfriars Graveyard
Perth Young Archaeologists' Club will be leading a guided tour of Greyfriars
Graveyard, exploring the fascinating evidence of the lives and deaths of Perth
people, especially during the 18th and 19th centuries. The tour will be geared
primarily towards youngsters.
Meeting place: Canal Street entrance to the graveyard.
For further information contact: Adrian Cox, Tel: 01738-622393
SCOTTISH CRANNOG CENTRE
Saturday 28th9.30am-11.00am
Meet Scotland's Iron Age Loch Dwellers!
Visit Scotland's only authentic recreation of an Iron Age loch-dwelling. New
exhibits, artefacts, wet tanks and guided Crannog tour will prepare you for
playtime with crafts and ancient technology demonstrations followed by the
Romans marching on the Crannog, and a unique Romano-Celtic fashion show in the
afternoon. Booking is not essential but recommended. Stout footwear and layered
clothing is recommended.
Location: Scottish Crannog Centre, Loch Tay.
For further information contact: Barrie Andrian, Tel: 01887-830583
PERTH MUSEUM AND ART GALLERY
Saturday 28th11.00am-12.00noon & 2.30pm-3.30pm
Perth Museum Behind the Scenes Tour
Staff led tours behind the scenes at Perth Museum and Art Gallery - come see
how
we fit it all in! Booking is essential. Steep steps are part of the tour,
therefore it may not be suitable for all.
For further information contact: Mark Hall, Tel: 01738-632488
MUSEUM OF ABERNETHY TRUST AND THE COUNCIL FOR SCOTTISH ARCHAEOLOGY
Saturday 28th12.00noon-5.00pm
Picts and Puzzles at Abernethy Museum
A family hands-on activity day in which you can discover more about the people
who lived in the area c1500 years ago. Take part in a simulated dig of a
Pictish
site and find out how archaeologists use the evidence they uncover, make your
own Pictish pendant using a bow drill; make a model Pictish symbol stone; try
deciphering ogham and solving our Pictish puzzles. Plus, a chance to explore
the
Round Tower. Drop in! Please note: places on the dig should be booked on the
day. Venue: Museum of Abernethy, School Wynd.
For further information contact: Sally Rose, Tel: 01738-850889
SCOTTISH CRANNOG CENTRE
Sunday 29th9.30am-11.00am
Hands-On Experimental Archaeology
Join the Crannog Celts for hands-on primitive technology and practical
archaeology. Includes wood-working, bones and stones session, pot-making,
fire-making and rope-making. Learn how archaeologists draw, look down
microscopes and reconstruct pots and stone jigsaws. Booking is not essential
but
recommended. Stout footwear and layered clothing and a smock or a coverall for
pot-making.
Location: the Scottish Crannog Centre, Loch Tay.
For further information contact: Barrie Andrian, Tel: 01887-830583
PERTH MUSEUM AND ART GALLERY AND PERTH AND KINROSS HERITAGE TRUST
Sunday 29th11.30am-12.30pm & 2.30pm-3.30pm
Cleaven Dyke
Guided walks around this outstanding monument of British prehistory, the
Cleaven
Dyke in Meikleour. Booking is essential. Stout footwear and warm waterproof
clothing is recommended.
Meeting place: Cleaven Dyke.
For further information contact: Mark Hall, Tel: 01738-632488
RENFREWSHIRE
RENFREWSHIRE COUNCIL COUNTRYSIDE RANGER SERVICE
Sunday 1st2.00pm-4.00pm
Brownside Circular
Join us on this circular walk around the hills of Brownside and discover the
wealth of archaeological features which can be found within this area of the
Gleniffer Braes Country Park. Meeting place: Brownside Farm off Caplethill Road,

Paisley. Stout footwear and warm waterproof clothing is recommended.
For further information contact: Catherine Gillen, Tel: 0141-884 3794
CLYDEMUIRSHIEL REGIONAL PARK
Sunday 1st2.00pm-4.00pm
Greenock Cut Walk
A 1.5 mile (2km) long guided walk with a Clydemuirshiel Regional Park ranger
along part of the Greenock Cut. Come along and find out about and enjoy the
view
along this listed 5.5 mile long ancient monument. Booking is essential. Stout
footwear and warm waterproof clothing is recommended.
Meeting place: Clydemuirshiel Regional Park: Cornalees Centre, near Inverkip.
For further information contact: John Webster or Fiona Carswell, Tel:
01475-521129
RENFREWSHIRE LOCAL HISTORY FORUM
Sunday 15th10.00am-5.00pm
Visit to Peel Tower in Castle Semple Loch
Boat trip and guided tour of the remains of a 16th century Peel Tower. A
booklet
and children's quiz will be available. Booking is essential. Please note that
there are no pathways at the site. Stout footwear and warm waterproof clothing
is recommended.
Meeting place: Visitor Centre, Castle Semple Water Park, Lochwinnoch.
For further information contact: Gordon McCrae, Tel: 0141-881 8527. To book
contact: Visitor Centre, Tel: 01505-842882
SCOTTISH BORDERS
PEEBLESSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY
Sunday 1st10.00am-4.00pm
'In Touch with the Past Day'
Based at the replica Iron Age roundhouse at Janet's Brae, Glentress Forest.
Come
along and discover how people lived in the past and try your hand at lighting
fire, making tools and finding food using Iron Age techniques. Come and enjoy
this living archaeology day with Peeblesshire Archaeological Society and Forest
Enterprise. Stout footwear and warm waterproof clothing is recommended.
Location: Glentress Forest near Peebles. Follow signs once in the forest.
For further information contact: Bob Knox, Tel: 01721-722203
THE TRIMONTIUM TRUST
Sunday 1st1.30pm-5.30pm
"Abbey, Fort and Grange"
A 6 mile walk guided by Trimontium Trust members from Melrose Square Roman
Heritage Centre to Drygrange Roman Stone Summerhouse. The walk will visit the
Mercat Cross, Melrose Abbey South Front, Tweed Valley Views, Newstead
Stonemason
Village, the Millennium Milestone, Trimontium Fort and Annexes, Three Bridges
and the Drygrange Summerhouse. Stout footwear and warm waterproof clothing is
recommended. Bring your own refreshments.
Meeting place: Roman Heritage Centre on Melrose Square.
For further information contact: Donald Gordon, Tel: 01896-822651
THE NATIONAL TRUST FOR SCOTLAND - ST ABB'S HEAD NATIONAL NATURE RESERVE
Sunday 8th2.00pm-4.00pm
Farmers, Fishermen and Saints
Join a ranger for a leisurely guided walk looking at the fascinating variety of
uses of this National Nature Reserve over the last 3000 years. Booking is
essential. Stout footwear and warm waterproof clothing is recommended.
Meeting place: Nature Reserve Centre in St Abb's Head National Nature Reserve.
For further information contact: Stephen Beaumont, Tel: 01890-771443
HERIOT YOUNG ARCHAEOLOGISTS' CLUB
Saturday 28th12.00noon-2.00pm
Art and Archaeology
Children's workshop with arts and crafts activities. Designed to introduce the
Young Archaeologists' Club and archaeology to children of all ages. Please do
not wear your best clothes!
Venue: Macfie Hall, Heriot.
For further information contact: Ruth Lancaster, Tel: 0131-660 5534
SOUTH AYRSHIRE
THE NATIONAL TRUST FOR SCOTLAND - CULZEAN COUNTRY PARK
Sunday 22nd6.00pm-7.30pm
Culzean's Archaeology
A walk with the National Trust West Region Archaeologist, revealing some of the
secrets of Culzean's ancient and more recent past. Stout footwear and warm
waterproof clothing is recommended as well as midge repellent.
For further information contact: Gordon Riddle, Tel: 01655-884400
SOUTH LANARKSHIRE
BIGGAR MUSEUM TRUST
Sunday 8th10.30am-4.30pm
Archaeology Activity Day
An action packed activity day for all ages. Take this opportunity to try your
hand at fire making, bow drilling, flint-knapping, candle dipping, prehistoric
drilling and jewellery making. Visit a prehistoric sauna with hot stones and
enjoy free access to the 17thcentury museum. If you intend to stay all day it
is
recommended that you bring a packed lunch.
For further information contact: Tam Ward, Tel: 01899-221050
LANARK AND DISTRICT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY
Saturday 14th2.00pm-4.30pm
'An introduction to the Archaeology of Lanark and District'
The archaeology of Lanark and the surrounding district as well as the work of
the society will be detailed in an illustrated talk followed by a guided tour
of
the historical and archaeological sites of the town. Further details are
available online atwww.LADAS.org.uk
For further information contact: Ian Borthwick, Tel: 01555-663 896
LOW PARKS MUSEUM
Saturday 14th1.30pm-3.30pm
Monday 30th12.30pm-3.30pm
Artefactory
Step back in time and explore a Bronze Age grave and create your own Bronze Age
artefact to take home. The event is suitable for children and families. Please
note that children under the age of 8 years must be accompanied by a
responsible
adult.
Venue: Low Parks Museum, 129 Muir Street, Hamilton.
For further information contact: Jill Barnfather, Tel: 01698-328232
STIRLING
STIRLING COUNCIL
Saturday 7th10.30am-12.00noon
The Archaeology around Gartmore Village
Guided walking tour of archaeological sites around Gartmore village. Stout
footwear and warm waterproof clothing is recommended.
Meeting place: outside The Black Bull Inn, Gartmore.
For further information contact: Catherine Malley, Tel: 01786-442453
STIRLING COUNCIL
Thursday 26th7.30pm
The Roman Gask Frontier
Evening lecture by Dr. David Wooliscroft. The lecture will be followed by a
short video on the recent excavation at Doune Roman Fort.
Venue: Smith Art Gallery & Museum, Stirling.
For further information contact: Catherine Malley, Tel: 01786-442453
WEST DUNBARTONSHIRE
WEST DUNBARTONSHIRE COUNCIL - LEVEN VALLEY RANGER SERVICE
Sunday 8th11.00am-3.00pm
Stoneymollan Time Trail
Dunbartonshire is rich in archaeological sites. Join in the national
celebrations by visiting a Clyde Cairn and Iron Age Fort on this circular route
over the coffin road. The walk will take approximately 4 hours. Booking is
essential. Stout footwear and warm waterproof clothing is recommended. Bring a
packed lunch/snacks.
Meeting place: Balloch Tourist Information Office.
For further information contact: Allison Graham, Tel: 01389-752977
WEST DUNBARTONSHIRE GREENSPACE
Sunday 15th2.00pm-4.00pm
Hardgate and Duntocher Archaeological Tour
Guided tour giving a brief history and viewing the archaeological remains of
Hardgate and Duntocher from Roman times to the Industrial Revolution. Booking
is
essential. Stout footwear and warm waterproof clothing is recommended.
Meeting place: Goldenhill Park (South Entrance) Stewart Drive, Hardgate.
For further information contact: Ewan Kane, Tel: 01389-738560
WEST DUNBARTONSHIRE GREENSPACE
Sunday 22nd2.00pm-4.00pm
The Archaeology of the Saltings
A guided tour outlining a brief history of the landscape around the Erskine
Bridge from Neolithic to present time. Booking is essential. Stout footwear and
warm waterproof clothing is recommended.
Meeting place: Entrance to Saltings Ecology Park, Erskine Ferry Road, Old
Kilpatrick.
For further information contact: Ewan Kane, Tel: 01389-738560
WESTERN ISLES
LEWIS AND HARRIS ARCHAEOLOGY GROUP
Saturday 7th2.00pm-5.00pm
Cuairt Na Mios (Walk of the Month)
A guided walk from the shoreline following the river Abhainn Ceann Urnabhaigh
where the remains of a Norse Mill can be seen. There is evidence of how the
water race was regulated by a dam on Loch an Dun which is situated above the
river. The walk continues uphill to the loch where the dun can be viewed.
Before
the walk there is an opportunity to view the kiln built by the Isle of Lewis
Young Archaeologists' Club when experimenting with kelp burning - Lochs was the
main area in Lewis producing kelp. Stout footwear and warm waterproof clothing
is recommended.
Meeting place: Old Fidigarry School, Shore Side, Ranish, Lochs.
For further information contact: Maggie Smith, Tel: 01851-860204
Iain Flett, City Archivist, Dundee City Archives,
21 City Square, Dundee DD1 3BY, Scotland, UK.
(Callers enter by 1 Shore Terrace)
Tel: +44 (0) 1382 434494 Fax: 434666
Email: iain.flett@dundeecity.gov.uk
Office and Friends of Dundee City Archives website:
www.dundeecity.gov.uk/archives
Genealogy Unit website:
www.dundeecity.gov.uk/registrars/genealogy.html
Email: Registrars@dundeecity.gov.uk