Honorary Status Appointment Information
Honorary Status Appointment Information
Honorary status is awarded in recognition of an individual’s contribution to teaching, research and scholarship in the College. The posts are non-stipendiary and will end on the expiry date unless an extension is approved by the Head of School/Institute following confirmation of your continuing contribution to the University.
- Affiliate status registration form
(Affiliate status is for:
- a. Staff from other institutions who are members of shared Schools/RI's/Services.
- b. Consultants/Agency Workers or Sub-contractors/Volunteers.’)
How to apply
- Applications for Honorary Status should be submitted via the web form: https://www.mvls.gla.ac.uk/mvlshonorary.
- Honorary Status is awarded for a maximum of 5 years in the first instance.
- In Step 3 of the form, you will be required to upload a CV.
- In Step 5 of the form you will be asked to nominate an individual to provide a statement of support for your application, and the applications system will contact them directly.
- Once a statement of support is received, final approval is given by the appropriate Academic Head of School or Director of Research Institute.
- Once approved, applications below Honorary Senior Lecturer will be processed by the College Office and subsequently ratified by the Honorary Status Committee.
- Applications for Honorary Senior Lecturer and above are considered by the Honorary Status Committee. In 2017, the Committee will meet in January, May and September.
Honorary Status is available in the following gradings. Please read the criteria here, to ensure that your application is for the most appropriate title.
- Honorary Fellow
- Honorary Clinical Associate Professor
- Honorary Associate Professor
- Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Honorary Senior Lecturer
- Honorary Clinical Lecturer
- Honorary Lecturer
- Honorary Clinical Teacher
- Honorary Senior Research Fellow
- Honorary Research Fellow
- Honorary Research Assistant
- Honorary Clinical Fellow
The honorary status application form should be completed for all titles with the exception of Honorary Fellow, Honorary Associate Professor and Honorary Clinical Associate Professor.
Nominations for HAP and HCAP should be sent to email@example.com and should include a CV, a short statement of contribution to teaching or research, and a letter of support. Nominations are considered by the Honorary Status Committee, and may come from the Head of College, Head of School, Director of Research Institute, or member of the Honorary Status Committee.
Nominations for Honorary Fellow should be addressed to the Chair of the Honorary Status Committee, and should include a CV and letter of support from a member of the College Management Group.
Please see the HR web site for nominations for Honorary and Visiting Professors.
Eligibility for Appointment
Candidates for all gradings (with the exception of Honorary Fellow, Honorary Clinical Fellows and occasional exception in the case of some Honorary Lecturers) will usually be making a substantial contribution to undergraduate or postgraduate teaching and/or research.
a) Honorary Fellow
This honorary status is awarded to individuals who have made a special contribution to the strategic aims of the College, usually over a number of years but not excluding those who have made a significant contribution over a shorter period of time. The contribution may be in the field of industry, civic engagement, health, education, science or other relevant field. The award is for 5 years.
b) Honorary Clinical Associate Professor
This title may be conferred on an individual who satisfies the requirements specified below for the category of Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer but subject to the following additional considerations. The individual will normally have several years of experience at the highest level and/or have achieved considerable distinction in their field demonstrated by for example holding high office at a national level. The individual will also normally have experience of, and a demonstrated commitment towards fostering excellence in undergraduate and postgraduate education and/or research and to have a leadership role in education and/or research.
c) Honorary Associate Professor
This title may be conferred on an individual who satisfies the requirements specified below for the category of Honorary Senior Lecturer but subject to the following additional considerations. The individual will normally have several years of experience at the highest level and/or have achieved considerable distinction in their field demonstrated by for example holding high office at a national level. The individual will also normally have experience of, and a demonstrated commitment towards fostering excellence in undergraduate and postgraduate education and/or research and to have a leadership role in education and/or research.
d) Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer
Normally an NHS Consultant, Top Grade Scientist, Staff Grade, Associate Specialist or have been on the GP performers list for a minimum of five years. Individuals will usually be expected to demonstrate evidence of involvement in academic activities in addition to the delivery of teaching. Individuals will normally be eligible for consideration immediately on appointment.
e) Honorary Senior Lecturer
This title may be conferred on a person who does not hold a clinical qualification. Honorary Senior Lecturers should contribute at an appropriately high level to teaching or research, or otherwise make a special contribution to the academic work of the University.
f) Honorary Clinical Lecturer
Eligible individuals should hold a medical qualification e.g. specialist trainee or GP with less than five years experience, or dental qualification. They must contribute to teaching or research at an appropriate level, or otherwise make a special contribution to the academic work of the University.
g) Honorary Lecturer
This title may be conferred on a person who does not hold a medical or dental qualification. Honorary Lecturers must contribute to teaching or research at an appropriate level, or otherwise make a special contribution to the academic work of the University.
h) Honorary Clinical Teacher
Normally a Specialist Registrar or General Practitioner and other grades of staff in medicine and dentistry whose contribution is limited to the delivery of teaching or new appointees whose contribution cannot be readily assessed in advance. Other trainees (e.g. Visiting Registrars), with a National Training Number in a programme leading to CCST, will also be eligible for consideration. Individuals will be eligible for advancement to Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer if their contribution extends to academic activities beyond the delivery of clinical teaching. Such advancement will not normally be considered for 5 years.
i) Honorary Senior Research Fellow
This title is awarded to a senior member of staff (Senior Lecturer, Reader or Professor) or equivalent at the time of retirement from a stipendiary post if they are continuing to contribute to research and/or teaching.
j) Honorary Research Fellow
Normally awarded to an individual in a post-doctoral appointment in recognition of a significant contribution to the research of the University.
k) Honorary Research Assistant
Eligible individuals are usually graduates without doctoral status who are awarded status in recognition of a contribution to the research of the University in association with a senior supervisor.
l) Honorary Clinical Fellow
Eligible individuals are usually Academic Foundation Trainees who are awarded status to allow access to University facilities during their two year academic rotation.
Conditions of Appointment
- The appointment will lapse on retirement and may lapse on resignation from the post to which it is related, or if there is a significant change in the responsibilities of the post.
- The privileges attached to Honorary appointments in the College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences will be reviewed annually by the College Management Group.
- All Honorary appointments are for a maximum period of five years in the first instance and will expire at the end date unless an extension is approved by Head of School/Institute confirming your continuing contribution to the University.
For queries about honorary status please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.