University Marine Biological Station Millport
Support for visiting universities and colleges at UMBSM
In our rôle as the National Facility for Marine Biology Fieldwork we host visiting groups from universities and colleges throughout the UK and Europe.
UMBSM is an ideal location for field courses in marine biology, marine microbiology, zoology and biology more generally. There is a variety of types of shore and other coastal habitats around the island within walking or cycling distance of the Marine Station. The diversity of species and environmental conditions provides a rich learning environment.
Our field and laboratory facilities, and the proximity of field sites allow a lot to be achieved in a short space of time.
Please follow the links on the left for further information about the Marine Station and the Isle of Cumbrae, or contact us to enquire about bookings.
Our facilities include:
- on-site accommodation for 80 people
- two research vessels
- diving facilities
- flow-through seawater aquarium
- lecture room seating 80 students, with data projector, OHP and whiteboards
- three laboratory classrooms with bench space for 36, 26 and 15 students, respectively
- piped supply of sea water to classrooms
- sinks and plastic aquaria for holding specimens
- large outside seawater tanks
- dissecting and compound microscopes, magnifying glasses, bench lamps
- drying ovens
- distilled water, filtered sea water, preservatives
- assorted sampling equipment and sample containers
- surveying equipment: e.g. quadrats, tape measures, level instrument, GPS units
- networked computer in each classroom
- wireless internet access
- minibus, pick-up truck, van and car
Benthos or plankton samples can be pre-collected for you. Other equipment and materials for laboratory or field work are available – please ask!
A selection of books from our library can be delivered to the classroom on request.
Our experienced scientific staff will be happy to provide advice.
What others think
Please see the Feedback we have received from our higher education customers.