Your Information & Fair Processing
Your Information & Fair Processing
What do we use your data for?
As an alumnus/a or friend of the University of Glasgow, we will use your details to contact you by post, email, phone, text and/or social media, complying with any preferences you have expressed – see the Your Preferences and Opting Out section. We contact you to let you know about the benefits of being an alumnus/a of the University, to invite you to events we think you may be interested in, and to keep you informed of the developments and advances being made by the University, its students and staff, and our alumni.
We will also offer opportunities for you to engage with the University as an ambassador, volunteer, friend and supporter. This may include asking you for your financial support through making a gift to one of the projects which help to deliver the University’s mission of creating and sharing knowledge.
Fundraising to support the University is an important element of our charitable work. We may consider individuals’ potential to make donations and record this on our database. We do this in order to make sure we provide the most appropriate opportunities to each alumnus/a and friend to support the work of the University, including determining your likely areas of interest.
In order to ensure the information we hold is accurate, we may also source information which is available from trustworthy public sources. For example, we may consult the Electoral Register or the National Change of Address register. We also look at other listings such as Who’s Who.
How do we store your data?
Your data is held securely and in adherence to the Data Protection Act 1998. Your data will not be disclosed to any external organisations except for those acting as agents for the University under strict confidentiality agreements. Data is never “sold” to third parties.
All graduates of the University of Glasgow are members of the General Council http://www.gla.ac.uk/about/generalcouncil and this database of graduates is retained by the University.
What information do we hold?
We hold the following types of information about our alumni:
- Your name, title, marital status and date of birth if we have it
- Your preferred postal address
- Email and telephone numbers
- Details about your University qualification(s) or those gained from predecessor institutions. For some alumni such as former exchange students, we may hold course information.
- We log when we have had contact with you, including when we have written to you, sent you a magazine or newsletter, or if we have received any communication from you.
- We record any communication preferences you may have, including whether you receive Avenue by post or email, or if you have told us you do not want any contact from the University.
We may also hold some of the following:
- Business details, such as job title, employer or company name, as well as business contact information.
- Whether you have been invited to a University event and whether you have attended any University events
- We record information about when we ask for your support, whether for alumni volunteering or asking you to make a gift.
- If you have made a donation to one of our projects, we will retain data about your donation. This data is used to manage your donation – e.g. if you are giving by direct debit – and to help us better understand the type of project you like to support.
You may choose to tailor how we contact you.
For example, you can let us know that you would like to continue receiving Avenue but would prefer we did not contact you by phone. Alternatively, you may wish to opt out of all contact with the University.
If you would prefer for us not to use your data in the ways outlined above, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or using the contact details below, letting us know your preferences.
The University of Glasgow’s Development and Alumni team are happy to answer any questions that you may have about how your data is used and looked after.
- Development and Alumni Office
- +44 (0)141 330 4951
- You can also contact us in person at Development and Alumni Office, 2-3 The Square, University of Glasgow G12 8QQ